We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas break in Stourbridge.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
403 posts
29 reviews
Christmas break in Stourbridge.

Hi From Dublin,

Have booked flights to Birmingham& hotel in Stourbridge for 4 nights at Christmas.

both early 60s looking for a quite few days.We will be using public transport & need advice re

facilities open Christmas & Boxing day are pubs & restaurants open,We are looking forward to our visit and hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Cheers,

Baile

7 replies to this topic
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

I am not sure about Stourbridge itself, but few places in England will be open Christmas Day, and public transport will be non-existent..

All shops close Christmas Day, apart from maybe a few "local" corner shops.

Pubs usually open for lunchtime Christmas Day, but I think most pubs close for the evening.

If pubs and restaurants ARE open Christmas day then eating there is often VERY expensive and normally has to be booked in advance.

I think you will find very little public transport running on Christmas Day.

Boxing day will be more lively with many large shops starting their sales.

I think most pubs (and some restaurants) will be open Boxing Day.

You are fairly near Merry Hill shopping centre and I assume shops will be open there Boxing Day, though you did say you wanted a quiet time so maybe you wont want to go to Merry Hill.

However apart from that I am not sure many other attractions will be open Boxing Day.

Any reason you chose Stourbridge?

Note the details above are general for England, and are not specific for Stourbridge. I do not know Stourbridge at all so maybe a local person will come along with more specific local information.

Edited: 14 November 2014, 03:42
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
403 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

Hi Guilburt,

Thanks for the info.Stourbridge does not seem very exciting.Can you suggest a nice town or village

approx. 1 hour by train from Birmingham airport.

Baile,

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

Hi baile

You could come to the Black Country :-) Dudley has lots going on including The Black Country Living Museum,Dudley Castle & zoo, Merry Hill shopping centre and Castle Gate has hotels pubs,restaurants, bowling, and cinema.

Darryl

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
194 reviews
4. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

Well there's birmingham, which still considers itself as a number of villages rather than a city. Stratford is worth a look. You might look at Worcester. Perhaps somewhere like knowle, Warwick or leamington.

5. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 December 2015, 11:05

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

What an unpleasant person, you are not welcome on TA.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Christmas break in Stourbridge.

I'm aware that this has now passed but dare I ask why you chose Stourbridge as a place to visit? I live there and pleasant town though it it, it's not a tourist destination of any kind.

Reply to: Christmas break in Stourbridge.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stourbridge