We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
32 posts
61 reviews
porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

we are going to visit the Porthmadog area for 4 nights in june (with a car) to generally look around the area each day. We like to stay were there are a range of restaurants for evening meals and perhaps walk around the town etc in the afternoon/night.

Which would be better place to stay? Porthmadog or Criccieth, or is there a better option?

thanks

7 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

They are both very nice places and very close together so not much difference to choose between them

I would go for Portmadog , it's a bit closer to Snowdonia and may have a few more pubs and restaurants.

Caernarfon is another option, larger again than both of the others but wouldn't compromise your ability to tour the area.

Further afield and even more choice of activities is Llandudno, plenty of restaurants, pubs a theatre and a pier and promenade for those evening strolls. Again it's convenient for touring, good access to Snowdonia, Conwy and Anglesey from Llandudno

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,996 posts
478 reviews
2. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

I agree that there isn't much between them, but I think Porthmadog has the edge for you as there will be a slightly greater choice of pubs and restaurants that you won't have to drive to.

Neither place is very big, though!

Edited: 19 January 2015, 13:20
Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
672 posts
234 reviews
3. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

Personally I'd vote for Criccieth. It's more touristy (in a good way - no amusement arcades) and just a bit more chilled and relaxed. It also has a decent and easily accessible beach. Porthmadog for me is a bit more urban and it's often clogged up with traffic so it's not somewhere I'd want to stay. I'd also consider staying in Pwllheli which I feel has a bit more character than Porthmadog, although it is further down the peninsular so it's that bit further away.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

I would add my recommendation for Pwllheli as well. Whilst it's "further down the peninsular", it's a very pleasant town with a beach, either in the town itself or at Aberech a couple of miles away, and pubs shops etc. Good for visiting the Nefyn area, Whistling Sands, Abersoch, Aberdaron and the "Lands end of Wales".

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
274 reviews
5. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

We prefer to stay in Criccieth. It's easy to find nice places to stay with a sea view. However food options in the evening are not as good as Porthmadog.

Farum, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
6. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

Disclaimer: We just bought a holiday home in nearby Morga Bychan. Criccieth is a fine little town but would go for Porthmadog. But I suspect it is a very individual choice. To me Porthmadog feels more originally Welsh, is a more interesting town to explore, and is less touristy than Criccieth which feels more like a miniature classic Victorian beach town. Both towns are perfect for Snowdonia. If staying in Porthmadog also consider Borth-Y-Gest within walking distance of Porthmadog and very very pretty.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
32 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help

thanks for the replies, they are very helpful

Reply to: porthmadog or criccieth as a base - help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthmadog