We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Topic
Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

We are trying to determine if we can walk from the Express bus stop to a B and B in Porthmadog and if not if there are taxis. We are seniors and walking with suitcases can only be a few blocks.

Thanks!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,329 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

The main bus stops in Porthmadog are in front of and opposite the Australia pub (if it's still there now!). There are others, though. I suggest you take a look at google maps or Traveline Cymru for more information as to where other stops are found.

Which service are you travelling on? When you say Express do you mean Express Motors?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

Express motors. It looks like we will be going on to Pwllheli where there are more options to spend the night and then get the Cambian Line train to Machynlleth both for the ride and the town, Then to Cardiff via Shrewsbury via train.

We will have 5 days in Llandudno and have a long list of things to do there in good and bad weather - locally and side trips.

So it looks like we have completed the Itinerary starting at Holyhead and ending at Cardiff. We are REALLY excited about coming to Wales. Everyone has been so gracious.

Thanks so much to you all!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,329 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

If you use service number 1 from Bangor and Caernarfon to Porthmadog, some of their buses stop at the railway station for trains to Pwllheli. Another option is taking a bus that travels via Criccieth and using the station there, but then you won't see anything of Porthmadog except out of the train window as you head to Machynlleth. Some would say that's a shame, others wouldn't!

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
668 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

>>The main bus stops in Porthmadog are in front of and opposite the Australia pub (if it's still there now!).<<

The Australia is still there but it's now called Y Gestiana. I caught an Express Motors bus from there last year from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog so Express Motors certainly stop there.

(n.b. Y Gestiana was the last ever ship to be built in the Porthmadog shipyards in 1913. It was wrecked on it's maiden voyage but happily the crew managed to safely make it ashore in Nova Scotia).

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,329 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

I'm glad it's still there and the new name seems much more appropriate! The Blaenau bus was one I used to catch regularly when I lived in the area many moons ago, and I used to call into the pub from time to time.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

OP Thanks all. In post #2 I neglected to put OP at the start. Please refer to it as our plans have changed. In short: we will be going on to Pwllheli where there are more options to spend the night near the station and then get the Cambian Line train to Machynlleth etc

I'm grateful for your help in sorting this out . It is what keep TA such a great place for information. We are really excited about this trip.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,329 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

No problem, jroihl, we've just had a little discussion on the side here! :-)

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

Perhaps we will have to take a side trip to The Australia aka Y Gestiana :)

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

Is there a TAXI - please?

Well our hotel in Pwllheli fell through (above a popular tavern on a Fri night.) and we are again looking at Porthmadog. Can anyone tell us if there are taxis from the bus or train station in Porthmadog so we can see if we can get to some of the guest houses.

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
668 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is Express Bus stop in Porthmadog (address)?

The Australia/Y Gestiana has been taken over by the group that run the Albion Ale House in Conwy and is set to converted into a traditional real ale pub. Purple Moose Brewery from Porthmadog are one of the partners in the business.

Get answers to your questions about Porthmadog