We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porthmadog & areas

Stockport
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Porthmadog & areas

We are hoping to visit this area in summer next year but are not sure which area to stay in. We want somewhere quiet-ish but on the coast with a nice village/town within walking distance which has restaurants, pubs, shops etc so we can stroll around in the evening. Our problem is we want a detached property which seem to be quite hard to find unless you are in a rural area.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porthmadog & areas

Porthmadog and Criccieth are both nice - my preference for Criccieth, especially if you have children. It is hard to get a detached property in a town or village - but I think there are some. Dont miss out Borth y Gest which has a restaurant, and from which you can walk to Porthmadog along the quay. Otherwise, you are looking at small villages with one pub/restaurant at the most - Llanystumdwy or Maentwrog spring to mind. Harlech is a more substantial option but further off - and you may find the detached house issue comes up again........and it is very hilly!

Stockport
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porthmadog & areas

Thanks - Criccieth looks nice. I'll take a look see what I can find!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
1 post
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porthmadog & areas

Criccieth is a very small and sleepy town which is excellent for a day out on a sunny day but there is not enough to do for a longer stay.

Porthmadog is a busy little town but has a very limited choice of places to eat in the evening. During the day there are sandwich bars etc but at night there are very few places to eat and those are well overpriced, as is the area generally.

We paid £14.95 each for fish and chips at The Golden Fleece at Tremadog which was awful.

Reply to: Porthmadog & areas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthmadog