We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

2 posts
Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

My mum and I and the dog are staying in prenteg near Porthmadog and she has broken her wrist 2 days in; slipped on a hill walk. Going to try and still make the most of our stay so looking for some flat, non-hilly walks in the area we can do with the dog. Any help much appreciated...thanks!

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Does Mum have a walking pole? When I broke my arm, I felt much happier walking with a pole ( in the other hand, of course!). If not, I'm sure you can get one in Porthmadog.

And is it really 'not hilly' or 'not-rough-underfoot' or 'without stiles' you mean, or all three?

Don't know your immediate area so well, except that you have miles of beach at Black Rock Sands.

The following are all about half an hours drive:

A bit further south there is the Mawddwch Trail (foot/cycle path ) along the old railway route all the way from Dolgellau to Barmouth. Flat and fairly smooth ( not tarmaced) walking along the Mawddwch estuary. If you're looking for something shorter, from Morfa Mawddwch, just the bit across the railway bridge into Barmouth gives spectacular views back along the river.

www.mawddachtrail.co.uk/mawddach-trail.html

Bit further south, there is a lovely flat walk on the 'back road' at Talyllyn Lake, south of Cader Idris. Park/coffee/lunch at the Penybont pub or Tyn y Cornel hotel at the west end of the lake, and walk the tarmaced road from there. Don't try to drive the back road: lots of gates and a ford! It's about 1.5 miles all the way along. Return on same back road (3 miles). Doing it as a circular walk round the lake isn't better in any way: half the walk would be on the main road, and the linking fields can be VERY muddy!

Just north of Dolgellau is the Precipice Walk, which is non-hilly, as you drive up the height, and then walk 4 miles round a hill on a contour line. Spectacular views in all directions. I don't think it would fit the bill, though, as it's a bit boulder-y in parts, and has a few ladder-stiles. But the part from the car park, through trees, and past the lake there (the non-precipice quarter of the walk) would be do-able and enjoyable,.

Some to consider, anyway ... Hope all heals well.

2 posts
2. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

Thank you so much...all sound lovely...definitely going to check out the first one...perfect! And thanks so much for suggestion of a walking pole...sure that would make her feel much safer....will source one tomorrow.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

If you're considering all 9+ miles of the Mawddwch Trail, you can get a bus back from Barmouth to Dolgellau.

Not very frequent; so check times on www.travelinecymru

Or park in Barmouth, and get bus to Dolgellau to start with.

I always think it's best walked towards the sea, rather than walking inland.

There are also a couple of (VERY) easy walks within the Coed y Brenin forest, between Trawsfynedd and Dolgellau. Each about 1 mile, suitable for pushchairs. You could do both for a two-mile walk!

https:/…

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

Further east, in Denbighshire, there are a couple of reservoirs, with flat walking.

I've done the 10 miles round Llyn Brenig.

dwrcymru.com/_library/leaflets_publications_…

I would think there'd be some flattish walking alongside Bala lake and Vrnwy, too, so you could research those.

Edited: 25 July 2016, 17:19
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

A few (very few) ideas for wheelchair walks, which will be VERY flat:

eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/…accessible-walks

The short Dol Idris one is very close to the one at Talyllyn lake that I mentioned in my first post.

If you get that far south, and are prepared to drive to the coast, you can do lots of separate short walks in one day: Dol Idris, Talyllyn lake, Tywyn&Aberdyfi beaches. Dogs not allow on the first bit of beach by the prom, but walk south from Tywyn and you have THREE MILES of beach where you can let him/her off the lead! Tywyn has one of the few seaside car parks in the UK that is FREE. I think they are trying to entice people away from the more attractive and popular Aberdyfi . Of course, now it's school holidays, the car park WILL be busier, but worth trying.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
274 reviews
6. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

At 68, I find a walking stick with a curved top more comfortable to use than a cane with a simple vertical handle. It also keeps my hand down, and less likely to get wet if it rains, which I found rather unpleasant with a cane, which also seemed harder to grip.

I do agree, some form of cane can make an amazing difference to how I feel when walking.

7. Re: Non-hilly walks in the area with broken wrist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2018, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Porthmadog