We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions tipping

texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Excursions tipping

What do you normally tip for an all day private excursion? We are booking with Alex on the beach.

69 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions tipping

I wouldn't give Alex on the Beach a thin dime for anything until they stop breaking the law and putting the lives of people and animals in danger by feeding them for the sake of the almighty dollar.

texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions tipping

Ok why?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions tipping

Here are 11 reasons: kidssavingtherainforest.org/dont-feed-monkey…

texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions tipping

Thanks for the information.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,307 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions tipping

Tipping is not mandatory. AOTB is a business, he will charge you for his services. If you feel that what you have received was more then what you have paid for, then add accordingly.

Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions tipping

Agree with CanaTico and with Xelas.

Alex on the beach is not doing right things.

RideOnTrailsCr

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions tipping

Excessive tipping is a custom imported from areas of the world where paying a living wage to employees in the service industry is, somehow, frowned upon while making people grovel in order to make end's meet is, somehow, deemed desirable.

Alex is a business owner who charges a fee for his services. His prices are calculated the same they are calculated in most of the world: To create a profit after accounting for overhead costs and salaries. Costa Rican law is quite clear about salaries, insurance payments, social security, and additional payments due any worker.

Costa Ricans have long known that North Americans are so used to excessive tipping while failing to grasp that it's really just endemic to their societies that large tips are now basically expected from North Americans. Costa Ricans also know that North Americans tip amounts that are commensurate to salary levels back home - and not to salary levels in Costa Rica.

While I can certainly relate to wanting to reward good service, you should do so conscientiously. If you don't, the only thing you accomplish is that tour guides earn multiple times the amounts of university-educated office workers and other professions. Some guides earn more than physicians because of the crazy amounts North Americans tip. Thereby, while trying to be nice, you are really just corrupting a vital societal system.

Edited: 24 April 2018, 08:06
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursions tipping

Feeding monkeys is not good,they get used to getting food from tourists and can get angry if not fed.My friend and his girl friend were attacked while hiking by a group of monkeys since they had no food to give.Unfortunately since he had a machete and she had a heavy walking stick to defend themselves.Some monkeys were killed or maimed.This could have been avoided if the monkeys conditioned to food from tourists had not attacked

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursions tipping

Your version of tipping isn't exactly right, framptonian! Yes, we pay below minimum wage for some service positions, but your idea of it is all wrong! The idea is that knowing their pay is affected by the level of service will be an incentive to provide great service. It allows the customer to pay less for poor service. I do not expect groveling! I expect polite service done professionally!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
885 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excursions tipping

No, Framptonian's version of tipping is exactly correct. Charge a fair price and give good service without requiring additional incentives. Keeping your job should be incentive enough. People from the US screw up everything by overtipping. Pay is affected by the level of service anyway, by getting promoted or not, getting a raise or not, or getting FIRED or not.

Businesses in the US would like for the customers to pay their employees. I would like for the employer to pay their employees. Call me crazy.

Reply to: Excursions tipping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted