We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornish Cottage Holidays

bristol
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
Cornish Cottage Holidays

Hi there,

Has anyone used the above company to book a cottage? I think I've read a couple of negative reviews on TA, but I'm hoping that most people have had good experiences. Can anyone please confirm that and allay any fears?

Also, has anyone stayed in either Corner Cottage or Chapel Cottage in Porthleven as we're thinking of booking one of these for May?

Thanks in advance.

63 replies to this topic
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

I booked a cottage with this company and definitely could not recommend them I'm afraid. Everything seemed to go fine with the booking process and I made all the enquiries I reasonably could to ensure that the property I booked was suitable.

When I paid the final balance for the holiday I received all the information about getting there etc., and I also received information that the parking space was a covered parking space and was extremely difficult to use. In fact, it was impossible to use, we had to park on the road. I know that you have been looking at a property in Porthleven without a parking space, however, not to be told a material fact like that until you have paid your holiday balance is quite disgusting.

The other thing they didn't tell us was the other twin bedroom in the property had terrible damp in it. By damp, I mean property damp caused by the build that was hidden behind a wardrobe and that they were trying to keep at bay with a dehumidifier. I have asthma and, as soon as I walked through the front door on arrival, I could tell there was damp and it started to affect me very quickly. We kept that bedroom door closed but I was ill all holiday. I tried to put a brave face on it because I did not want to spoil my partner's holiday. It took me about two months to get over it properly. I had to take much more asthma medication than normal. I didn't complain at the time because there wouldn't have been anything they could do apart from move us to another property. My partner loved the property and I really hid from him the best I could how bad I felt. I wrote them a letter when I got home and explained I hadn't complained, wasn't trying to claim anything but wanted to advise them that by not telling someone booking this property of the state it was in, they risked hospitalising someone with worse breathing issues than me. I told them that I would like a reply but I never got one. I wrote back saying that, in view of the fact they hadn't bothered to reply, I would not be recommending their company ever again.

There are other holiday companies in Porthleven and I would seriously consider using one of those instead:-

http://www.abovebeachcottages.co.uk/

http://www.cornishpropertymanagement.co.uk/

I've probably looked at everything that Porthleven has to offer. If you haven't done this yet, let me know what you are looking for and when and approx. how much and I will see what I can come up with for you.

It's up to you if you use that other holiday company but I know I will never ever use them again.

Hope this is helpful.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

I don't know if this is your sort of thing but this is a great price in a fab location and has parking:-

www.abovebeachcottages.co.uk/quayside.html

Might not even be big enough for what you are looking for but just thought it was worth posting.

Suzi

bristol
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
3. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Many thanks Suzi. Unfortunately, that apartment though lovely, is outside our price range. If you have any other suggestions please PM me.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
897 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

My humble view: just avoid 'agencies', i.e. those that don't allow direct contact with the cottage owners, because that way they can charge a whopping 20 - 30% commission. Because ask yourself: what good cottage would be so foolish to part with such big sums of money when other avenues are available? Very few indeed, so only the dross is still represented by these 20th century outfits.

Instead, use the likes of www.premiercottages.co.uk or www.special-escapes.co.uk

Good luck

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Hi TravelHappy

I always try to avoid agencies if at all possible, however, since the majority of properties are with agencies, it can prove a bit difficult. If I see a property with an agency, I always double-check to see if the owners do let it out privately. I have found that in only about 2% of cases that they let them out privately. It would be nice if all properties that were let out direct were suitable but, quite often, they simply aren't.

On saying that, I have booked holidays with some fantastic agencies and got very good value for money for what I have got compared with private rentals in the same area. I have been really happy with Carbis Bay Retreats and Helpful Holidays in particular. I have also managed to get good deals with Carbis Bay Holidays and Aspects Holidays although these do tend to be more pricey.

Suzi

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Dear Suzi

My name is Nigel Pickin and I am the General Manager at Cornish Cottage Holidays. Reading your review of St Ives view, I would like to offer my response:

Having queried our customer service file I can not find a record of your correspondence, I would be most grateful if you could resend your original to me so that the matter can be dealt with appropriately, (albeit too late after the fact).

We take full responsibility when the expectations of our guests are not met, in this case the holiday apartment in which you stayed is one which is owned by Cornish Cottage Holidays, so clearly the buck stops here!

The apartment enjoyed 38 bookings for 2010 and guest feed back was in the main excellent. There was, however, one complaint made by a guest late in the season regarding damp. The complaint was made to us during their stay and a representative from Cornish Cottage Holidays visited the property immediately. In this particular case the guests were keen to stay on and we agreed a level of compensation as a gesture of good will which was accepted. The damp was not a legacy issue, rather the bank into which the complex is built had seen so much water ingress due to the long periods of rain that the building eventually took the brunt of this.

Had we been made aware of your problem during your stay we could have reacted in the same way but please, get in touch with me now so that we can get things sorted as best we can.

Kind regards

Nigel

Kent
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Hi there,

Have just booked a cottage for June using http://www.abovebeachcottages.co.uk/

and so far, so good! OK, so they did charge a £25 booking fee, but am so pleased with the accommodation/location I'll swallow it!

Good Luck!

Porthleven, United...
5 posts
8. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Hi it's Simon the owner of Above beach Cottages. I agree the game with booking fees can be a bit annoying but we try to be the same as our competitors so that you're comparing like with like when looking at prices.

Call the office or send an email and I'll get the booking fee refunded for you.

Porthleven, United...
5 posts
9. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Sorry to see all agencies being tarred with the same brush here- as with everything in life there's a great variation in what you get in the market. it's true that the big brand names charge up to 30% and can be faceless but there are many small agencies trying to build a brand based on quality and customer service. I run a small agency charging 12.5% to the owners and nearly 2% of that goes to the credit card company! Every cottage is inspected by a supervisor every changeover and as well as a local caretaker all customers have our office number and my personal mobile so they can (and do) call at all hours if something isn't right. Try calling an agency and see if you get someone who knows their properties well or a call centre who have never visited them. Like restaurants you'll soon get a feeling for who really cares.

Cambridge
2 posts
10. Re: Cornish Cottage Holidays

Hi

WRT Cornish Cottage Holidays. If nothing goes wrong you will be fine. If something goes wrong then expect to spend a lot of time sorting it out yourselves. Do not expect Cornish Cottage Holidays to help during your stay or afterwards.

We were recently (May 2011) in Porthleven in Atlantic Cottage under Cornish Cottage Holidays. There was a leak in the bathroom and eventually the ceiling was pouring water out into the kitchen on our 2nd night there and the ceiling was eventually brought down.

We spent 3 days trying to contact the property manager and liaising with the maintenance guy (Nice helpful guy). At no point did the property manager or Cornish Cottage Holidays in general try to contact us or help. We had to do the liaison for the repair and avoid the remedial work that was going on during our stay.

We got a phone call from the property manager on our journey home after a week stay. We then complained to Cornish Cottage Holidays and got offered a £50 apology. Cornish Cottage Holidays still seem to deny all responsibility and put the onus on the property owner.

Quite frankly there is no customer service at Cornish Cottage Holidays.

We also had 2 property owners pull out of agreements with us after booking the week we wanted with Cornish Cottage Holidays. We have since learnt they the properties are now with Porthleven Holidays. Perhaps the property owners are not happy with Cornish Cottage Holidays either?

Summary: Avoid Cornish Cottage Holidays is my advice!

Reply to: Cornish Cottage Holidays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven
Recent Conversations
More Porthleven Topics