We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Am planing on visiting the Calibishie area for 5 days. I would like to rent a car for a few of those days. Any recommendation on which company to rent from? Will the car rental places deliver the car to my hotel in Calibishie or will I need to get the car from the airport?

13 replies to this topic
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

I just returned from Dominica last week. We rented from QB and it was fine. I most often saw Courtesy Rental cars on the road. They should deliver to your hotel, but the airport is just about 25 minutes from Calibishi. Driving was stressful for me (even as a passenger). Tight turns, steep hills, not many signs, other drivers speeding, driving on the left. Be cautious! Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Dominica
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Car Rental companies at Douglas Charles Airport you can choose from, all offer good services. Valley Rent a car, Island car, Avis, Courtesy, Bonus and Edge.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
138 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

We also just returned (yesterday) & rented from Road Runner. They do not have an office at the airport. I had no issue making the reservation or with delivery of the car to the airport when we arrived. The problem was when I emailed them on Saturday to inform them we had a brake making a terrible scratching noise & also a tire that was going flat. I didn't get a response until Tuesday & that was after I sent a second request. We had to find a place to put air in the tire 3 different times during the week. (not as easy as it sounds). The brake quit squeaking on Monday. We were also involved in a minor hit & run Wednesday evening. I emailed asking about that & how it should be handled since this is the first time we've ever had a problem. I never did get a response about that so am waiting to see what amount (if any) is charged. I did do the insurance. We were supposed to get a phone with the rental but there was some sort of issue with it & when we picked up the car, were told they'd bring it to us....but they never did. The emails I did get back asked if I'd called them.....sort of hard to do since they didn't give me the phone. We were renting a house in a remote part of the island so no access to a phone. Finally, we were to meet the representative at the airport on Friday at noon to drop off the car. They didn't show up until 12:40....we were in line to pay the departure tax & had given the key to the ticket agent (who didn't seem surprised they were late). Saw a lot of rentals from Courtesy as well.

Have a great time, it's beautiful!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
243 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

We just returned fro the island and a stay in Calabishie.

We used Courtesy. No issues at all.

I did a lot of research prior to our trip, and they seemed to come out on top.

We picked our car up at the airport.

The car was in good shape and was ready for us on arrival. We quickly completed the paper work, got my temporary driver's license and we were on our way.

Return was also a breeze. Highly recommended.

London
Level Contributor
385 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

We used courtesy. They were due to deliver at 9am to our hotel in Calibishie, when they didn't and we called up they said they didn't have the staff to bring the car to us so they would send someone to our hotel to collect us and bring us to the airport instead. It was the first morning of our holiday and we didn't fancy an extra hour on the road so refused. In the end they brought it, but two hours late. Car itself was absolutely fine, as was the process of returning it.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
243 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Glad that it turned out okay for you.

I also would have refused and would have been upset at having to start my vacation that way.

An incident such as this can really hurt them and can factor against so many other positive comments.

Part of my job is in customer service, and so many companies do not realize how quickly an incident such as this can tarnish their business and negate many other positive comments.

Being late in delivering the car would have been bad enough, but expecting the customer to spend their time in getting the vehicle is what really makes this incident negative.

In my mind, it would not have been as bad had they simply offered to bring the car to you a couple of hours late.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Was there an extra charge for delivering the car to your hotel? We would need our car delivered as well.

Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

We used QB and it was awful. When we got our vehicle the front tires were bald (I mean bald!) We were concerned driving certain roads so we didnt attempt them which put a big damper on our week. We got a screw in our tire while in the center of the island and tried calling them for 2 hours on a Saturday and couldnt get them. So much for the 7 day 24 hour emergency service! We rented a phone and they gave us limited minutes, it didnt allow us to add more and we were unaware of this. We used all our minutes trying to call them and never got to use it again. We ended up driving the tire flat to get it fixed ourselves because there were no tools in the vehicle to take the tire off. They came to our vehicle at 9am 3 days into our vacation and took out a huge tool kit left in there that we signed for (not for the flat tire!) and didnt tell us. The security guard stopped him and got his name and told us about it the next day. We drove a whole day thinking we got robbed and we were going to pay for the tools. That messed up a whole day worrying. If you rent a car, these are words of caution. I saw Courtesy all over the place and nothing else but them. I suppose there is a reason. I would go with Courtesy.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I just made a reservation with Courtesy. Hopefully all will go well.

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

I think we used Valley. Everything worked out fine. But it's good to have a 4wheel, some roads are tough to drive without it. What comes to driving, well, if you've done any driving on smaller roads in Ireland, in the Alps etc, not too bad. In the North-East corner one a little bit scarier, since it was partially under reconstruction and another one east of Scott's Head in the South (go there only if you're driving a 4wheel, a bit steep...). The locals are not even driving that fast and on many roads there aren't too much traffic.

Reply to: Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calibishie