We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Guided Tours

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Self Guided Tours

My wife, daughter (15 ), and I are staying in Calibishie for a week at the end of November. We have some day trips already booked, (whale watching, horseback riding, snorkeling.) We are also very interested in spending a day going to Trafalgar and Middleham falls and Ti Tou Gorge. We are very seasoned travelers and also very independent. We looked at tours through various companies, they are pricey, and they seem to cater to cruise ship passengers, and only seem to depart from the cruise terminal. Also we do not want to spend our day with a crowd of people crammed into a van. We will have our own Jeep Wrangler throughout our trip. Do we really need a guide for these places. We would much prefer to go there ourselves and not be on cruise ship departure schedule.

9 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Guided Tours

You can visit those places (and many more) on your own with your rented car. And avoid the very touristy spots when the cruise passengers visit them.

Edited: 08 November 2016, 06:17
Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Guided Tours

Thanks Pierre W. This is what I was hoping to hear. I was able to find a link that lists the cruise ships arrivals which will further help us to avoid the crowds.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Guided Tours

Hi

Just read one of your earlier posts.Have you any advice or can you recommend a local operator who do the whale watching trip in Dominica.

we are on a P&O cruise but want to avoid the official trips.

Any help is appreciated

David

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Guided Tours

Hi David. We went whale watching with a great company right in Roseau around the corner from the cruise ships. Dive Dominica is the company we went with. http://www.divedominica.com/ they were fantastic. Nice boat, friendly crew, unlimited rum punch. It was a 3 hour tour, $50 per person, very reasonable. They really know there stuff. The first hour and a half was uneventful and we thought we might not see anything, but they used underwater sonar equipment and very soon we were watching 3 female Sperm Whales and 2 calves. It was incredible. Highly recommend them. You may want to contact them directly prior to your trip instead of going through the cruise operator, or one of the bus tours on the dock. When we went, they picked up several passengers at the cruise ship dock and then returned them there at the end.

Edited: 21 December 2016, 14:47
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Guided Tours

Thanks for your reply.

I have heard of that company before and the reviews sounded good. Its always best to get an opinion of someone who has experienced the trip.

I'll book that one today.

Thanks again for your help and have a great Xmas.

David

Berlin, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Guided Tours

hi, usually you can also just meet people on the island and they offer you to guide you to things or a tour. I met this really nice local guide...can really recommend him. and you can go fishing with him. the nicest person, and he has a website http://hikingdominica.tumblr.com/

Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Guided Tours

Hello,

If you rent a car(as you did I suppose) there is absolutely no need to hire a guide. This way you'll be on your own schedule and pace. My wife and I, did he Middleham falls, Ti Tou gorge and he boiling lake hike on our own and never had a problem to locate the trail. Moreover, those couples with tour guides did not look much happier than we did, it looked like they were a bit rushed and on demanding parts of the trails I didn't see the guides really assisting their clients besides advice (I mean holding them where it was slippery, etc)

We hiked the boiling lake for 8 hours instead of 6 and took plenty of pictures, sat in the natural hot water pools and had 100% control of our time.

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Guided Tours

Hi, Have been on the holiday and am now back home to reality.Thanks for the tip. Thinking of returning next year so I will bear your advice in mind.

Thanks

David

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Guided Tours

Did you have to buy the Waioukubuli National train pass to hike to Boiling Lake? Was the lake boiling? We read that the volcano was not active. We are going there Mid Feb and plan to do a lot of hiking.

Edited: 06 February 2017, 15:59
Reply to: Self Guided Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calibishie