We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Car Hire in Stalis

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Local Car Hire in Stalis

Can anybody recommend any reputable local car hire companies in Stalis?

Thank you

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

I use Kourites which is situated along the beach road - very reliable and friendly service.

See their website www.kourites.gr/

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

Dear npj60

After I posted my question I had a quick look on Travelsupermarket and the prices seemed to be cheaper with some of the other Cretan sites I had looked at.

As the flight arrives in the afternoon and the transfers are included, I had thought it might work out cheaper in renting a car locally for 5 days instead of seven. However, it doesn't appear to be so.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

Hi there

Yes, it's always best to have a good round to see all the options available. Heronia along the beach road in Stalis is also worth having a look.

Bear in mind that car hire places will often offer you a better deal than is advertised on there site when you pop in as they are all looking for business in these difficult econic times.

Good luck in finding car hire which suits your requirements.

Edited: 13 May 2011, 08:26
Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

Sorry, I meant "economic" not "econic" - I'm not good on the 'typos'!

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

Yes, you are right, it is best to shop around. We normally book flights, car hire and an apartment separately, but we have a voucher from T Cook to use.

Went to Crete a few years ago and had always fancied returning so thought we would take the opportunity.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

I too am looking at hiring a car in Stalis – probably for around 7 days in August. I have had a good response from NPJ’s recommended company (Kourites), and I am likely to go with them. Fox car hire in Stalis seem to have very good prices on their website, but I suspect they may be subject to lots of “extras”, and they appear to be incapable of answering my emails.

To the original poster, who is trying to decide whether to hire locally or from the airport – I’m not sure how many people are in your party. I would just point out that if you hire for the whole holiday from the airport, it’s convenient, but you do have to have a vehicle big enough to carry all your luggage. However, if you transfer by taxi or bus to your resort, you can hire a smaller car for getting around, which could be MUCH cheaper (as well as making parking etc. easier).

Finally, does anyone know whether I will be able to “shop around” for car hire in the resort in peak season (August), or whether I’d be better off booking in advance?

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

Just an update on this, as of 19th May. I finally managed to contact Fox car hire in Stalis, but they said the only availability they had in August would be for 2 or 3 days. I have now made a reservation with Kourites (also in Stalis, on the beach road), for a Corsa for 9 days at €315. "Rita" was very helpful both on the phone and by email. The Kourites rates seem reasonable, and appear to include everything except your petrol - and npj60's recommendation is good enough for me! Although we are having the car brought to us in the resort, Kourites will apparently deliver your car to the airport if you want.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

Hi Masher

Yes, Rita is a lovely lady and has always been very good and helpful to us when we go to Stalis. Just to confirm, the charge from Kourites does include everything so no hidden costs.

From my experience you have made a good choice.

9. Re: Local Car Hire in Stalis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Stalis