We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Ana's security

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
Santa Ana's security
Save

Hi everybody, I wanted to ask any of you who live in Santa Ana or has recently visited this part of el Salvador if you could tell me how secure is this place for visiting.

I'm a student (21 years old) and I'm planning on visiting this country in August but my parents are slightly pissed off because they think I may get kidnapped or something and I wanted to relax them. Can you tell me something positive??

Thank you all

9 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

Santa Ana is great but it always helps to be cautious. As long as you are not drawing attention to yourselves and rude they will leave you alone.

They are very helpful and walking around the city is easy. We have left our hotel around 8pm and have walked to the city square for drinks and back and have never been bothered. It's all about going out in groups (if you have one) and being appropriate and not loud.

Suchitoto, El...
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

Hi there,

All of El Salvador has its problems, but using just common sense you should be fine. Santa Ana all though a fairly large city has its problems but most travelers and tourist are fine. If you want to PM me copied to your parents I could most likley be of aid as I have been living and working here for now over twenty years and have provided advice to many over the years.

Anyway you will love it here and that will be one more to tell the world that people do not get raped robbed or kidnapped(unless involved in gang activities).

Saludos from Suchitoto

Robert Broz

California Ex-Pat

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

We were there last Fall. I didn't feel safe at any point in time. Like others said, just use caution. Don't dress like a millionaire or wear lots of jewelry. I would not walk through any heavily populated streets or the market.

Edited: 6 years ago
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

We were there last Fall. I didn't feel unsafe at any point in time. Like others said, just use caution. Don't dress like a millionaire or wear lots of jewelry. I would not walk through any heavily populated streets or the market.

Edited: 6 years ago
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
63 posts
5. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

Santa Ana is by far safer than San Salvador. I recommend walking through the streets of Santa Ana during the day. The Santa Ana Gothic cathedral and the National Theater are a must and I would say there is almost no threat in that specific area. If you are travelling to Cerro Verde, Izalco or Santa Ana Volcano, be careful when you drive, try to stay close to other cars, Lake Coatepeque roads are generally safe, but dont travel alone.

If you are travelling by bus, keep a low profile. Dont wear new nikes, dont take out your cellphone in public, no cameras unless you are inside parks, restaurants or buildings.

visit my website www.elsalvadorcustomtours.com or email me elsalvadorcustomtours@gmail.com

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
193 reviews
114 helpful votes
6. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

Hi,

could you please suggest me any car rental in Santa Ana? I would like to drive through El Salvador and return it in some eastern town.

Gracias

Santa Ana, El...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

Hello, is a pleasure to answer you, we are a Bed & Breakfast located in Santa Ana City, and also offer you Local Tours and airport transportation, and we have rooms availables for you very clean , with a/c , cable tv, wifi etc... Santa Ana is very close to arqueaological sites, Lake Coatepeque and Volcanoe Ilamatepec, and if you want a great tour guide we also recommend ECTOURS , for amazing tours , to know more about our culture, etc... you can contact us at villa.napoli.sa@gmail.com or you can visit us at www.facebook.com/villanapoli.bb , it will be a pleasure to help you!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

I want to thank you as citizen of USA/El Salvador , who grow up in this beautiful deparment of Santa Ana [ candelaria de la frontera village ] and lived in San Salvador until moved to NY now living in FL but going back as a retiree .Your message or an adviser on Safety speaks volumes THANK YOU .

Ucluelet, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Santa Ana's security
Save

Santa Ana is safe to walk around in during the day. I have wandered around quite a bit! In general the best safety advice for El Salvador is to plan your trips so you are always where you need to be before it gets dark. this means don't take the last bus of the day if you are headed to an unfamiliar area. The bus stations in Santa Ana are not particularly nice places. But they are safe during the day. Just use your common sense. Don't follow anyone into dark private locations, research where you are going and how to get there before doing it so you can travel with some confidence. Santa Ana has a great hostel called Casa Verde where you can make some travel friends. Have a look at this site for lots of photos and information about travelling by bus. http://centrocoasting.com

Edited: 4 years ago
Reply to: Santa Ana's security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.