We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Dollars in Mexico ?

calgary
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
American Dollars in Mexico ?

We just booked our trip and received a travel advisory regarding Mexico and US $. We usually tip in American $ even though we are from Canada . Wondering if anyone has any info on their latest trip to PV . Did you only take Canadian dollars and use the ATM to obtain pesos ? Thanks for the info .

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

Why do you usually tip in USD especially if you are from Canada? It would be like me tipping in Euros while in the States. Or Europeans tipping in Pesos while in Canada. Kinda silly.

It is really easy to use the ATM machines down there or exchange Cand $$ inot pesos....in fact the last two times we were down it is easier to change Cand then it is to exchange USD

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

Got back today. Take both. Some exchange places take Can. and US some only take one or the other. If converting US, you will need your passport and a photocopy at some places. Exchange ratio is equal to both even with a higher Can. loonie. Every Canuck plays the exchange rate and I had many vendors actually prefer straight Can. paper money over any other even the US and their peso.

alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

Just got back from Mexico one week ago. At that time the currency of Mexico was the peso.....has something changed in that one week.? Converting CDN to US might be good advice if you are going to the US however to do so to go to Mexico is operating with the dull side of the knife

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
808 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

Don't be alarmed, this is one of the topics that seems to make posters cranky. There are a lot of opinions about this. Here is mine (for what it's worth)... we used to use US $ for tips, we don't anymore. Pesos only now for everything. We purchase some pesos from our local bank to take with us, after that we use a bank ATM (never privately owned ones) to withdraw pesos. Works for us.

FYI, credit cards are NOT widely accepted in restaurants, cash only.

United States
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

A couple observations as we are close to the end of our 4 month stay in Bucerias. One of the bartenders at a place we frequent showed me all the American coins she's received in tips - US coins are no good to her. I am happy to exchange her quarters, dimes and nickels to US $ but she's just one of many waitstaff who, I'm sure are receiving US coins for tips. And speaking of coins, while sitting at the bar for happy hour this week I observed so many people who simply did not tip period! Just because it is Mexico and everyone thinks it should be "cheap" here does not mean that you should not compensate the service people, who by the way are often living on a very small daily salary.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

@Luvthebeach, while there are people who do not tip, perhaps those you observed didn't tip every round, or gave the tips directly to the waiter. Unless you were watching them 100% of the time you don't really know if they did or did not tip.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

Use pesos when in Mexico.

We always just use the local ATMs to get pesos. It's the easiest and you get the best rates that way.

Sometimes it can be tough to get smaller denomiation pesos for bus/colectivo fare or for tipping- you can ask at your hotel front desk for them to change a 200 every morning, that usually works for us. Or break larger bills whenever you can at larger/busier businesses.

The Mexican gov't has requested people try to not spend USD when in Mexico, they are trying to attack the cartel activity in part by reducing the amount of American currency in the country....we should all help out and do our parts, IMO.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

I used to think pesos and USD were pretty interchangeable...no more. If someone quotes a price in USD, I always just tell them I'll pay in pesos. They will most likely be using an exchange rate of 10 to 1, rather than around 12 to 1. If you pay in USD, you will be losing about 20% with every transaction. Why have that 20% go into their pocket? I'd rather have it in my pocket.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

I just got backed and was shocked at the US dollars in the tip bin at the bar. Do not bring USD down if you are Canadian. Do not tip in toonies and loonies as they can't do anything with them. Estimate your tipping per diem and request specific peso denominations such as the 20 and 50 from a large Cdn bank. The bank machines may give you large notes, you may have to break them by buying a small item. Yes I think I noticed a few people leaving without tipping, can't be sure and yes there were times when service was not great but most of the time I bonded with the wait staff so I enjoyed leaving the tip

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Dollars in Mexico ?

Since U.S. dollars that are torn or have any marks on them cannot be exchanged at the banks, they usually go in the tip jar. It's not to encourage tipping in USD.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias