We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

world
Level Contributor
371 posts
237 reviews
173 helpful votes
Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

How long would it take to walk from barnsdale timeshare to oakham.

6 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
1. Re: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

It's between 3 and 4 miles so 1 to 2 hours depending on how fast a walker you are

7 minutes in a car per the RAC

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
24 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

I would say a little less than Dzug1 says to walk to Oakham, certainly not 2 hours. The first part being a good downhill section may make you walk a bit faster.

Driving times as Dzug1 says is about spot on, I do that drive daily.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
126 reviews
53 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

There is a footpath/cycle path much of the way and not a bad view of Rutland Water. But I'd drive or get a cab myself. I think that the hotel has a minibus but perhaps that's just for staff.

The view from Barnsdale is, as you know or will find out, just splendid.

If you are self- catering, there is a market in Oakham on Wednesdays and Saturdays and there are also two good butcher's shops - Nelsons and Leesons.

Have a great time exploring Rutland. For instance Exton, just up the road, has loads of pretty cottages.

world
Level Contributor
371 posts
237 reviews
173 helpful votes
4. Re: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

Thanks for all the info. Will definitely try out the market adn the butchers shops. Any pub recommendations that serve real ale?

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
126 reviews
53 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

Try the Grainstore next to Oakham Station - they brew it on the premises, lots of variety and very good it is. Their pub food is pretty good too. (see their website for both).

The Wheatsheaf near All Saints Church (worth a look) and The Lord Nelson in the corner of the Market Place and near the entrance to Oakham Castle are both very nice.

For a very good meal, consider the King's Arms at Wing - across Rutland Water from your place. Local produce, pictures of some of which is on the pub walls.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
33 reviews
35 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham

Nelson's in the Market place is very popular.. great selection of beer, and good food too. You could cycle to Oakham easily from Barnsdale if you brought or hired bikes. The Admiral Hornblower does an excellent Sunday carvery any time from 12 til 8 I think. The pub in Exton isn't far from Barnsdale and isn't bad and in a picturesque village if you have bikes.

Reply to: Walking from Bansdale to Oakham
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barnsdale
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.