We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hooker Valley Track with kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Hooker Valley Track with kids

Hi All,

We are a family of all ages (with my parents in their mid 60's, to kids from 1.5y.o to 4y.o) and we are planning to do the Hooker Valley Track around mid-Dec (in about 1-2 weeks time).

Considering the age groups, it is likely that we may not complete the whole track which I heard takes on average 3 hours. I am just wondering, which part of the walk has the most magnificent views, and if we start to turn back after the 2nd bridge, would be miss out on some epic views?

Thanks in advance!

-Viv

8 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
450 reviews
1. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

You don't have a choice - you can't do the last bit only!! The good thing about a one way track is that you can turn round whenever the kids get scratchy. Yes, the 2nd swing bridge would be a good aim.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

Thanks for your response zhuhai!

Are the views that much different/better after the 2nd swing bridge? Is it worth it for me to go solo to the end (to take some photos haha) whilst my family turn back earlier to wait for me at the car?

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
450 reviews
3. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

Absolutely, the views get better until you reach the lake.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
474 reviews
4. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

The most stunning is of course the lake at the end with great icebergs and the view to the glacier and mountains. Its a well used gravel track, but temperatures can get cold, even on a sunny day. so throw in jacket etc. The swingbridges are great for kids, and there are some other viewing spots along the way.

I would suggest you go to the end. Its stunning for photography.

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

Hi

I just did it with my 8 year old boy (we are city dwellers). He hit a lot of mental blocks at each of the bridges! hahaha

I would suggest that the whole family crosses the first bridge and halfway down before 2nd bridge (as you will get to see the Stocking Stream). Then the parents and kids can make their way back, while the adults can carry on to the end - and meet them up again in 1hr's time. Otherwise, you will likely have to carry your kids after the 2nd bridge

That said, i have seen families braving on with their strollers all the way after 2nd bridge - but had to leave their strollers behind after that. Roads right before 3rd and after 3rd bridge are a lot more difficult for strollers.

Hope this helps.

I found this blog immensely helpful in my planning.

https:/…

I have also posted my trip report up in the forum!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
474 reviews
6. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

It can also get really hot or cold, or both. Take plenty of water, sunscreen, sunhat, and also a jacket when doing the walk.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
450 reviews
7. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

The 4 year-old should have few problems if he walks often but you will need a back pack for the wee one.

grafton
Level Contributor
655 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Hooker Valley Track with kids

Thank you vodkarib. Loved the blog.

Reply to: Hooker Valley Track with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted