We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please Folks

Which Kamari hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Please Folks

Hi All,

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas Day!

Right back on topic.

I have been living in Germany for the past 2 years, but am returnung to England in February. We want to go to Kamari, Santorini for 2 weeks in June/July on either a B&B or SC basis flying from either East Midlands or Birmingham. Been looking at the prices on the TO websites (Tui, Olympic etc..) and am astonished at the price of a basic 2 week SC stay. Cheapest I found was Tui £1,200 for the 2 of us. Had a look at On The Beach. Slightly cheaper at £1,076.

As I have been out of the loop so to speak for the past 2 years, can anyone point me in the right direction for websites and the like to see if I can maybe get a cheaper deal, and these days is it better to go with a TO, or do a DIY?

Have been to Kamari 3 times, so know what the ins and outs are.

Thanks in advance.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please Folks

Hi there

I'm not very well up on Santorini but from personal experience, after booking everything independently ourselves for the last 10-12 years, this year ( booking for summer 2012), the flights alone were almost as much as a deal from the travel agents.

Bear in mind that when you wish to go is approaching peak season and Santorini is already one of the more expensive islands to start with. The cost of flights when booking independently is still probably partially due to Kosmar/XLs collapse a couple of years ago - they had 20-something jets in the fleet, and if each one only made one return flight to Europe per day, that's 4,000 less seats available each day

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Please Folks

Hi,

Have you not done the simple calculation, price of a flight to/from Santorini + accommodation cost which is more or less a standard price. It comes to very approx £800 using Easyjet flights from Gatwick. Add in the usual rip-off factor for EM/Birm charter flight, or travel cost to Gatwick gets you to guess what.....

I've excluded any offer prices which may/may not appear.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Please Folks

HI I live iin Kamari in the summer so I know lots of info and people, so am happy to give advice and also about all of Santorini!

First of all June and July start to pick up price wise, but the month of june is great because the weather is lovely and its not as busy as july and august.

There is a great small self catering place situated a few mins from the beach called MARIOS STUDIOS, my mother always stays here because its near to shops supermarket etc but really peacefull and relaxing. The rooms are spotless and there is a small pool and terrace and Marios is a really nice guy. I know First choice go there not sure if they are part of Thomson holidays now, but you can find reasonable accomodation if you go back from the beach area.

Perissa is usually cheaper than kamari but people seem to love it when they visit kamari and wish they had stayed here instead!

Apparently the english travel agents have many offers for next summers hols if you book now, so check this option , Or book a flight on the internet with Thomsons or Thomas Cook and you will find it easy to get somewhere to stay in June as it s not the high season.....

Hope that helps you and good luck.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Please Folks

Hi Lesley,

Wow Studios Marios looks very nice indeed.

Had a wander through their website and for the 2 of us to stay for 2 weeks in June would cost 630 Euros (£525). Add flight costs and transfers to and from the airport, that would probably bring it to the £1000 - £1200 mark.

Looked on First Choice site. They only do AI holidays these days. Looked on Thomson and got a price of £1070 going on 12th June for 2 weeks from Birmingham.

Only 2 years ago, I could have had 2, 2 week holidays to Greece for that price. How times have changed.

Will have to have a think about it. Maybe look at another less expensive island.

Edited: 28 December 2011, 05:11
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Please Folks

Every year I spend at least a few days at Kamari. It is usually possible to get a double room in a good hotel including a nice fulfilling breakfast for 40-50 EUR/night (we've stayed at Hotel Castro in July 2010 and July 2011) .

Also, Easy jet's prices to Santorini are more than reasonable.

Therefore, a 14 day price for 2 should be around:

45 EUR x 14 days= 630 EUR

London Gatwick - Santorini = about 200 EUR

Birmingham - Gatwick = ?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
278 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Please Folks

Hi Intervoice

2 of us 2 weeks B&B at Sideris Sunflower apartments = £420 ish . This will be our 4th time staying here and we love it. Flights from Birmingham with Thomson = £800 so total =£1220 which I think is OK. Kamari is a lovely place, not too noisey and perfect base for exploring the island. Thomas cook flights from Manchester usually work out a little cheaper but we prefer the Birmingham flights.

Happy hols. Tim.

7. Re: Advice Please Folks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 05:19