We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Check

St. Louis
Level Contributor
276 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Check

We are getting our plans made and our lodging lined up. We keep changing parts of the intinerary. Would someone be able to check out this itinerary and make comments. Thanks.

Aug. 21 - Fly into Calgary and stay at airport hotel.

Aug. 22 - Rent car and GYPSy. Stop at Walmart on way out of Cal-

gary to buy a cooler and food so we can picnic. Drive into Banff -

maybe have lunch and take gondola if weather is clear. Travel on

to Johnston Canyon and Yoho. End up at Lake Louise Inn for

night.

Aug. 23 -Spend more time around Lake Louise and spend the night

at Chateau Lake Louise. Hike in the area and see Lake Moraine.

Aug 24. - Head toward Jasper over the Icefields Parkway. Trying to

arrange room at Becker's Chalets for night.

Aug. 25 - Follow up with anything we have missed in the Jasper

area. Head towards Kamloops via the Mt. Robson Park road.

Aug. 26 - Night in Kamloops and then on toward Vancouver the next

day.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I know our time is short but we are the type that will go from sunrise to sunset to see everything. We can sleep when we're back home. Our trip will continue on in Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle but that is "the rest of of the story."

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
24,970 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Check

Looks okay to me. Just a couple of thoughts:

Aug 22 - Take Stoney Trail (Hwy 201) west from the airport to connect to Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy) west of the city. Stoney Trail is a new freeway and is much quicker than taking the Trans-Canada through Calgary, which has many stops for traffic lights etc. Exit from Stoney Trail onto Country Hills Blvd NW, to go to Royal Oak Centre. This large shopping centre has a Wal-Mart Supercenter (200, 8888 Country Hills Blvd NW), as well as a Canadian Tire (good place for coolers, camping equipment, and housewares if Wal-Mart doesn't have the cooler that you want) and Sobey's (large grocery store in case Wal-Mart doesn't have the groceries that you want). Note that Alberta grocery stores (including Wal-Marts) aren't allowed to sell liquor or wine; if that's on your shopping list, you'll need to find a liquor store.

Consider keeping your options open so that if visibility is restricted along the Icefields Parkway on Aug 24 (due to rain or low cloud), you can try to see the scenery again on Aug 25 by driving to Lake Louise and then Kamloops rather than going via Mt Robson. It would be a pity to miss seeing the Icefieds Parkway just because of a passing weather system.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
276 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Check

That is a wonderful suggestion about going to Kamloops through Lake Louise if we have a bad travel day on the way to Jasper. I think it is quite a bit further that way but since it is one of the highlights of the trip, it would be worth it. There was a spot to stop near Mt. Robson, I believe, where someone said we might find the salmon running. I think we can find that out beforehand, though, or maybe just go there first and then head back down the Icefields Parkway. Sometimes we get our schedule so set it our mind that it's hard to think about an alternative.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Check

Calgary/shopping/Banff/gondola/Johnson Canyon/Yoho is likely too much in one day. Be prepared to be flexible with your expectations.

I'd also drop the Chateau Lake Louise. Since you're dawn to dusk people it's a waste of money. Since you'll be leaving early and returning late the Lake Louise Inn is perfectly adequate.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Check

Going to the Mt. Robson area first, and then backtracking to Jasper and then the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise and then to Kamloops would be an awfully long day. I'm not exactly sure where you go to see the salmon running but the end of August is the right time. I know that there is a viewing area near Valemount, BC (about 1.5 hours from Jasper or 3.5 hours to Kamloops) and I believe it's Rearguard Falls near Mt. Robson that is the "end of the road" for the salmon. (It's either Rearguard or Overlander Falls, that is too big and they can't go any further). The visitor centre at Mt. Robson Provincial Park could probably give you more info - the park's website is …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/mt_robson/ (presumably, *if* they give info by telephone, the phone number will be there... but I think the visitor centre is not open until the spring).

St. Louis
Level Contributor
276 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Check

The Fairmont was our splurge stay. We are trying to stay economically elsewhere. It probably is not a necessary or logical expense but we will only be passing this way once and don't want any regrets.

Rearguard falls is the name that I had read. I don't know if this is far off the highway if we head to Kamloops from Jasper in that direction. Plus the salmon may not be there yet but we will check with the Park Ranger before we make the hike there.

If we don't get everything in on the first day as far as Yoho, Johnston Canyon, etc. I think we will have time the next day. I don't know if we will have time to hike to one of the tea houses near Lake Louise or if I would have the stamina to do it. So many choices and so much depends on the weather that day.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

l

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Check

Rearguard Falls is just a couple of kilometres west of the Mt. Robson Park Visitor Centre. It is a short walk from the parking lot to where you view the falls, not really a hike. …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/rearguard/

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Check

'Dawn to dusk' or not, your plans do not allow sufficient time in/around Banff IMO, and as Terry (~) indicates- far too much in one day (21st).

Lake Louise village itself is nothing but a tacky rest stop with a few fast food outlets in a small mall. The lake is something else and also its surrounds for hiking.

Most advice here is to treat Banff as a base (for at least 3 days) and LL as a day trip, though I recognise your desire to stay at the Chateau. A DE has recently quoted $25 for scrambled eggs there so you will certainly 'splurge'.

Absolutely anything you can do to squeeze more time for Banff area would be a major plus- if you do/can arrive in time to rent/travel there on the day you arrive, it would be good thing.

My view is you don't have time for the kind of shopping you intend. Park the cooler idea and get a proper cooked breakfast and you have the day in front of you- my 2 cents. You could be at the LL village gas stop diner when it opens- it's an OK place.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23,481 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Check

Ok, at the risk of being offensive, I think that's nuts. With a time frame like that, DON'T waste time packing up and moving hotels and checking in and checking out every day. Stay in Banff, do LL as a day trip and do the Parkway as a day trip. Go dawn to dusk by all means - its the only way you'll fit it all in, but give yourself more time to see things by taking out all the "administration" involved in moving around all the time.

Also, you can get to Vancouver in one day. A long day, but not unreasonable. This would give you more time in the Rockies, which are worth the time.

Everyone has their own travel style, and I'm not shy about saying that I prefer to see more and drive less. What you see through the windscreen of your car is just a taster. You need to stop, get out and spend time in a place before you've seen it, so take that time and see it.

As CW has said, its doable as posted and you can certainly race around like that if you want to, but I'm at a loss as to why you would want to. Its a vacation.

9. Re: Itinerary Check

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:40