We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Kuala Lumpur...
9 posts
Save Topic
do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

I am visiting the Canadian Rockies and intend to rent a car. Do I need an international licence to drive in Canada? Can I use the driving licence issued by my country? We drive on the other side of the road.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 09:29
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,811 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

If the drivers license is written in a language other than the country being visited, or is not a photo license, you will need an International Driving Permit.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

And note that an IDL is not valid on its own - you have to have your regular driver's license with it.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,811 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Ooohh. I can get one back on the wonderful krp. How rare. :)

It is not an ID License, but an ID Permit, and that is one of the reasons why the person must carry their license from their own country. As I am sure that you are aware, but for the benefit of the O/P, the IDP is just a transcription of the original license into the language of the visited country and not a license to drive in that country. You only need your own license for that, even though, like myself, you will be on the opposite side of the road.

Sorry for the cheap shot krp, but I could not resist. I am sure that you will be able to get one back sometime soon from my posts. :)

Edited: 12 September 2012, 07:17
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,710 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Yes you can use your own country's license. it can be in any language. there is no photo requirement.

If you have an IDP, you can drive up to 1 year in certain provinces. Otherwise, your home licence alone is good for at least 3 months or 90 days everywhere, depending on the province.

san juan
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly. My driver licences is in spanish but is a photo license. Is it valid?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,811 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

No. You will need an IDP as Spanish is not a language of Canada, and the IDP will translate the information on your license to English. Then you will need to carry them both with you, the license and the IDP.

You should make enquiries with the relevant motoring or government authority in Puerto Rico about obtaining an IDP in English language.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Frommy, do you have an official link for that? saferoads.com/drivers/visitors-driving-in-al… (Alberta) and welcomebc.ca/wbc/…license.page (B.C.) do not mention any need for an IDP for a short visit to Canada.

san juan
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Thanks Frommy. I've just contacted AAA in Puerto Rico and they can issue de IDP permit in a matter of minutes. This post saved my life...I was unaware of the necessity of an IDP permit in Canada. About ten years ago, I drove Vancouver via Seattle and I don't remember to have any.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,811 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

G'day Matt, long time no talk.

I am of the understanding that the IDP requirement is universal if the home country license is not written in a language of the country being visited. The BC link contains this bit:

"If you are a visitor, you can drive in B.C. for up to 6 months with a valid driver’s licence from your country. If you hold an International Driving Permit, you must also carry the accompanying foreign licence."

The Alberta Goverment site contains the following for their citizens who might be travelling:

"International Driving Permit

The International Driving Permit (IDP) allows motorists to drive vehicles in international traffic without further tests or applications. It is proof that the holder possesses a valid driver's licence issued by a competent authority in their country of residence. The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) (external site) has been granted sole issuing rights of the International Driving Permit (IDP) by the Canadian federal and provincial governments. Albertans can apply at their local Alberta Motor Association (AMA) office (external site). For more information see the AMA's IDP webpage (external site)."

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1302.cfm

By extension, that would also be applicable to travellers coming to Alberta. Below is the link for the BCAA which covers the same advice for BC citizens travelling abroad.

bcaa.com/trip-planning/international-driving…

I would not attempt to find similar links in Puerto Rico. I don't speak Spanish for a start. :)

gilawi, what does the AAA in your country say about the requirements for an IDP?

san juan
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: do i need an international licence to drive in the Canada?

Well, I didn't really asked. I've just take for granted that I will need the IDP, but didn't mention it was for driving in Canada. I will call again.