We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Mexico (again)

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Mexico (again)

We realize there are other posts about this topic on the forum but situations change, and vary by area.

We have booked flights and are in the midst of a good deal of planning for a trip to Yucatan/Mayan Riviera (but avoiding the large resorts and renting a car between Tulum and Merida to get around).

Now we have received more reports of hazardous conditions in Mexico - all again due to the drug cartels and ongoing disputes within the country. A man was hurt coming off a cruise ship, another was injured and could not find medical assistance because emergency staff were too busy tending to priority incidents related to drugs, and a female traveller was attacked while walking through the resort she was staying at. Anyone else hearing these reports on the radio or in the newspapers at all?

We have read the government safety warnings and noted that they were restricted to certain areas, and we have heard from some other travellers who still feel Mexico is safe. But at the end of the day (and when travelling with kids) how can we really tell?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. We have been waiting almost two decades to return to Mexico owing to continued reports of crime and violence there and we are just plain tired, tired of the drug cartels and what they are ultimately doing to the Mexican people, who like the rest of us, could benefit from tourism.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

I have been to Mexico at least once a year since 1999. Some years it has been 2-3 times. I have come with my husband, by myself and with my grown children. I consider myself to be well educated, reasonably cautious and relatively sane. I am not afraid to be here, but I take the same precautions here that I would anywhere I travel. Could I be killed? Yes. Could i have an accident? Yes Is it anymore likely to happen here than on one of my trips across the US? No.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

You really need to step back and see how the world operates. Most of what you are saying are natural incidents of accidents that happen all over the world. Including Canada.

A man hurt while getting off a cruise ship, would not be deemed an act of drug cartel violence, nor a injustice to the mexican people. just an accident. How many just jump off a cruise ship while at sea. Many do.

If you are injured and not near a medical facility, nor not near a place where an ambulance is there in 30 seconds. Thats just the face of mis-fortune. Deal with it.

How many times do you hear of people calling the police, or an ambulance and it takes 45 min or more to respond. Everywhere.

We are all sick of Drug Cartel Violence. Thank god that it is between the bad guys and the mexican govt. Tourists are not the target. They are the potential customers.

Millions of visitor's frequent Mexico for their Vacation each year along with about 3 million Ex-Pats that call Mexico home.

Almost all of the tourists that are killed here are victoms of drownings and vehicle accidents. bet you did not know that.

Mexico benifits from Tourism. They do intend to keep it that way.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 23:05
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

"Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated."

Turn off the internet, and wait for departure day.

Have fun.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

Please watch the posts in this forum as your ? is asked every day and all the answers in the last week are still valid to this specific area

Perhaps ask about specific safety concerns in this area , not those in Mazatlan and cruise ship accidents

Kind like those riots in Toronto and Vancouver

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

here is a safety tip from one of our trip advisor experts

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k5090785…

Edited: 25 January 2012, 23:20
Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

Interesting reading.

mexicovacationawareness.com

We usually go to Mexico every year. This year we are going to give it a rest and go somewhere else.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 00:56
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

Thank you all - and great points.

Quick note - the man coming off the ship was a victim of theft - the issue being raised in his case was that emergency resources are being diverted to drug-related crimes in such a way as to make it difficult to obtain timely assistance in other instances.

Our friends visit Mexico, we have friends who live in Mexico, and have met many people here who are from Mexico, and during our own travels, have met people from Mexico. Yes, thank goodness that the bad guys and the government are the centre of all this difficulty. The people in Mexico are wonderful and deserve only the best at all times. We too hope it all ends - and are glad to hear that tourism is strong.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

Dan posted a really good response. The OP has posted the same concerns on several sites and received the same responses. Really not certain if I were so paranoid, if I would take the family anywhere.

Pay attention to details and you will see what you are reading didnt occur in the Yucatan peninsula. If you read of an incident in Vancouver are you concerned it will impact you in Toronto. I doubt it.

As far as emergency response in Mexico, it will not be bad if you are in a metropolitan area. But dont expect helicopter STAT flights to come in case of an injury in most parts of Mexico. You have mentioned in one of your many posts, travel to Merida. Merida has some of the best medical care in Mexico. You have also mentioned Holbox and there you can expect very basic care and response.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/mexico

10. Re: Safety in Mexico (again)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 05:25