We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

My husband and I are flying out on Thursday with West Jet Vacations. What have been your experiences with them? Good? Meh?

In the past, we have typically flown out with Sunwing or Sunquest and this will be our first trip with WJV.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

Westjet is awesome. In my opinion the best airline to fly to your holiday destination with. Unlike other airlines we've travelled with, the flight attendants actually are pleased you're flying with them and are friendly and courteous.

Because Westjet fly 7 days a week out of Toronto to CUN, we book air and then hotel seperately for 10 or 11 days or try to get a 10 day trip through WJV.

Hope you have a great time.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

Another Westjet fan here. I wouldn`t touch Sunwing or Sunquest with a 10 foot pole given their appalling record for rescheduling their flights.

FWIW, I usually fly with Westjet but arrange my own accommodations and transfers. For the latter, I use USA Transfers which is a PRIVATE transfer co. USA have spoiled me for anyone else I think as I really missed the luxury of just stepping into our own van and being whisked away.

I used Westjet Vacations for my first time in October. They use Best Day transfers for their ground transportation and I wasn`t overly impressed with them as there seemed to be a lot of pointless waiting around at the airport - as in, everyone in our van was hanging around for about 20+ minutes and then we got loaded into a van that had been waiting there all along. Then we waited another 10-15 minutes while the drivers shot the breeze. If we were waiting for another party to show up, I`d understand it but I don`t think that was the case. I wouldn`t rule out the fact that I`m a total princess but compared to my USA Transfers experience, Best Day just couldn`t compare.

No worries about Westjet though; they rock!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

Llisa - when we booked with WJV we told them that we wouldn't be taking the Best-Day transfer (just so they ween't waiting for us) and booked a private transfer with Cancun Transfers. I agree private transfer is the way to go.

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
955 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

I wish they were more price competitive for vacation packages out of Ottawa. They've never come close to what other tour companies charge.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. Looking forward to flying with them in a few days!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

@NoSnow - I figured I'd give Best Day a try as I haven't seen too many negative comments about them on these boards.

In their defence, they really weren't *that* bad; just nowhere near as good as USA Transfers. Best Day were 15 minutes late picking us up on the way home too. So, lesson learned - once a princess, always a princess!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

I like Westjet ..................although I've never taken a vacation package with them...they seem a tad more expensive than some other package providers, but not as expensive as Air Canada vacations............as an airline, I've used their service a few times, most recently a few weeks ago on a flight to and from NYC............I think they're very good...........

Edited: 03 December 2012, 10:44
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

I agree with Eden.

We fly with WestJet as often as we can- we love the airline.

But their packages seem to be pretty pricey compared to others- we usually book separate air and hotel on Expedia, or directly with WestJet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

There is nothing wrong with Westjet but Westjet vacations are consistently more expensive for the same product. They were several hundred dollars higher per person for our upcoming Playacar vacation. We have a great deal through Transat at the Royal Hideaway. I believe we get a hot meal with Transat, something not offered on Westjet. We have probably flown every vacation carrier with no significant difficulties. It comes down to flight times and price. (No 3am departures for us...we are past that!). At the end of the day, if the flight schedule works and the room is identical, why pay more with Westjet vacations? By the way, they will not price match...I tried.

10. Re: Thoughts on West Jet Vacations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 December 2012, 14:35