We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

waterloo illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

Any feedback as to which one is a better resort to stay at? Feedback is appreciated!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

These two resorts are so far apart in pricing, you can't even begin to compare the two. Last time I checked the IB Grand was MORE than double the price of the VIM.

However, to answer your question, I think most people will concur that the IB is a better resort (and at that price, it had darned well better be!) but it's all subjective. I'm not a fan of dinner reservations or wristbands, so that's a big detractor from the IB for me.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

I've stayed at both-- IGP in 2011, VIM in 2013.

We got a great deal (likely a pricing mistake) at the Grand in 2011. While shopping for this year's trip, the Grand was pricing out at about $1000 more than VIM for the week-- comparing a standard room at IGP to a near-oceanfront Emerald Suite at VIM.

At those prices, I'd stay at VIM again. Mrs. Geek would still like to return to the Grand, but I'm sure she wouldn't turn down VIM.

What kind of things are important to you in a resort?

waterloo illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

I hope you don't mind but I have a few questions. What time do the pool bars close? I read 5:00 pm. That seems really early. Can you order food and snacks at pool or beach? I read that they do not offer any type of food service at the pool or bar. I was going to book a delux jr suite or silver suite. Any input on those rooms. I agree the Grand is much more expensive. Trying to get a feel if it is worth it.

Thanks so much!!!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

I price the 2 our pretty regularly and never has the Grand been more than double for the packages Ive found. More, yes, but I have not had it be double. Yesterday I priced a trip for May and the Grand was about $800 more.

If its worth it it all dependent on you.

We love the Grand. Just returned from our 4th trip last week. I am very intrigued with the VIM though and I am pretty confident that we will give it a try at some point in the future. My husband likes the fact its a little more laid back and that there are more dinner places to eat and he can wear shorts. At the grand for dinner if you want to wear shorts its either room service or the buffet.

Robin were you asking about the grand or the VIM?

At the Grand, you can get food at the pool. I saw people eating and also people had ordered around the pool bar as well. The pool bar did not close at 5 at the Grand either. We were usually there until about 5:30 or 6 and still being served.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

Since Texas has answered your questions as they relate to the Grand, I'll give you the VIM version:

- pool bars close around 5pm. If that's too soon for you, it's my experience that the bartenders are quite obliging about giving you several drinks before they close so you can stick around. However, it's not long after 5 that most people start drifting back to their rooms to shower and change for dinner (or maybe have a nap);

- you can't order food or snacks at the beach. At the pool, they sometimes have an area set up for lunch cooking hamburgers, hot dogs and sometimes paella. This tends to be seasonal though, so if you're there during low season, it might not be an option. There is a restaurant close to the beach and the pool (Mar Tierra) and you can get food there from about 10 am onwards;

- deluxe junior and silver have EXACTLY the same amount of square footage. The DJs are more centrally located. The Silvers have an open bathroom concept (which is a big issue for some), a double sized jacuzzi tub (the DJ has a single person sized one) and two vanity sinks (the DJ has only one). The biggest difference is that the silvers ONLY come in a king bed configuration. The DJs come in two queen beds OR one king. You can request your preference but there's no guarantee you'll get it.

Remember, no matter which room type you stay in at the VIM, you will be sitting on the same beach, swimming in the same pool and eating all the same food and drink as everyone else.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

<<Remember, no matter which room type you stay in at the VIM, you will be sitting on the same beach, swimming in the same pool and eating all the same food and drink as everyone else.>>

That's the same as at the Grand as well. The only thing that changes about the different levels of rooms at the Grand is the view. The rooms are all the same with the exception of the rooms with jacuzzi on the balconies and the honeymoon villas.

The VIM is generally known around here as the "best bang for your buck adults only all inclusive." It predominately gets great reviews and its always (for me) on the less expensive side of pricing for adults only resorts when I price out my trips. That makes it very tempting. We do love the Grand. There is a level of opulence and pure amazement when we go, but as I said the VIM intrigues us very much. You do know that at the Iberostar Grand you have to wear a wristband while there and make dinner reservations at the a la carte restaurants right? Sometimes that is a deal breaker for people.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

I love that at the Grand there is no excellence or preffered and everyone is treated the same everyone can have top shelf alcohol and lobster 3 times a day if you want it.

From the UK the prices for the Vim and the Grand are not much different .

The nights we don't want to reserve an al a carte we really enjoy the buffets.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

While we do not LOVE wristbands, it is not a deal-breaker for us, but we really dislike the reservations for dinner when on our adult only trips. When with the kids, it is just fine as they would rather do the buffet every night, but we make them sit with us a few nights (ha ha).

My question is: At IG,do you "get" to make a reservation "every" night or do you only get a certain number per your number of nights stay? And then have to do the buffet the other nights? I hate that rule at some resorts.

Thanks

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

At the grand you can do a la cartes every night, if they're open. Some times during very low occupancy they will close them all once a week or so and only have the buffet. You also can make reservations at the restaurants at the other 4 resorts in the complex if the Grand's are closed or you want more choices.

nik

10. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Iberostar Grand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 00:18