We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

3 posts
December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

Planning a family trip along with child 08 years to North Sikkim this December 2018. Our major attractions: Snowfall, Changu Lake, Lachen, Chopta Valley, Gurudongmar Lake, Lachung & Yumthung. Our date of journey will be 23rd Dec - 28th Dec (Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung -Yumthung-Lachung- Gangtok).

Q1. Will I get shared taxi from Gangtok - Lachen? If yes what's the cost? If no, how much will be the fare if I hire private?

Q2. Will I get shared taxi from Lachen - Gurudongmar via Chopta Valley? If yes what's the cost? If no, how much will be the fare if I hire private?

Q3. Will I get shared taxi from Lachung-Yumthung? If yes what's the cost? If no, how much will be the fare if I hire private?

Q4. What's the chance of getting a home stay / stay with local family @ Lachen or Lachung?

Q5. Do I need to carry oxygen for Gurudongmar Lake & Yumthung for the child 08 years?

Thank you in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India, Gangtok, Varanasi, Amritsar
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
394 reviews
1. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

Weather would be harsh to extreme harsh that time,i wont suggest North Sikkim with family that time,also if there is sudden heavy snowfall then accessibility can be an issue.

1+2+3 >Take share vehicle package from any Gangtok based travel agents,that will include fooding,lodging, transport and permit,its 2 night 3 day from Gangtok with Lachen and Lachung 1 night each.

4>Almost all budget hotels in Lachung/Lachen area type of home stay.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

You should consider going to west Sikkim in December. Pelling, Yoksum.

3 posts
3. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

Hi.

Thank you for your valuable recommendations. I totally agree with you on the harsh climate. But we are OK with it to experience that.

For sure we will carry necessary heat clothes & oxygen.

But we are desperate to visit Gurudongmar Lake. Shared taxis available from Lachen at that time if road is not blocked (if we are lucky)?

Any idea about home stays?

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India, Gangtok, Varanasi, Amritsar
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
394 reviews
4. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

You have to go through Package offered by Gangtok based travel agents,both share and exclusive vehicle package are available.

3 posts
5. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

OK.

Do you know any one?

Refer me his number?

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
394 reviews
6. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

There are many in Gangtok, won't be problem getting one,most of travel agents provide same level of service specially if going for share,in any condition dont book in advance,arrive Gangtok,check about weather and accessibility and decide.

Gangtok, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

A. There are different routes and options you can take to explore North Sikkim. If you love to explore the offbeat places or are the adventurous kind here is a tentative itinerary:

Day 1: Arrival at Gangtok

Day 2: Travel from Gangtok to Lachen

Day 3: Explore Lachen

Day 4: Lachen – Davis Neel Cave & Lachen

Day 5: Departure.

Click here for more information

Edited: 15 October 2018, 09:24
8. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

Hi

What is the suitable option to get snow and lakes gurudongmar or Tsomgo.

Shud I go to Lachen gurudongmar or Tsomgo NathuLa.

Time- december last week, have 4 full days excluding first and last days.

Kids 7 yrs and 9 yrs, they hv experience of Gulmarg in january.

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
394 reviews
9. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

Accessibility of Gurudonar not guaranteed in December end,in North Sikkim snow should be available at Yumthang near Lachung.Visiting North Sikkim in December end is dicey.Safest and easiest option should be Tsongo lake that time.

10. Re: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok

Thanks Rahulji

Reply to: December'18 Gangtok-Lachen-Gurudomgar - Lachung - Gangtok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted