We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
18 posts
108 reviews
Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Hi,

Where will it be better to hire a car, La Linea or Gibraltar?

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
630 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

I too have a similar question. I will be flying into Gibraltar, but am hoping to book a villa on the coast up towards Cadiz. I will have an elderly relative with me, and wonder how far the walk is to the spanish side to collect a rental..... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Hire a car in La Linea, most of the rental places are just across the road from the border.

For example from the airport to Auto Aguirre it is about 500m.

Auto Aguirre & Sixt are good, although Sixt will probaly be more expensive.

Avoid Goldcar.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,846 posts
292 reviews
3. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

http://www.autosaguirre.com/

and

https://www.avis.com

have Gib airport presence. Both will provide car on La Linea side of border with Spanish reg cars. I believe that you can ask them to provide a car from immediately outside airport to save walking across to the frontier etc. But better to check with each.

The walk is not that far really but occasionally you need to wait in a queue to walk through Spanish customs.

england
Level Contributor
241 posts
183 reviews
4. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

as others have said just walk across the border, there are many car hire firms across the road.

I have just returned from a long weekend and did this for my first time, easy

But word of warning avoid Goldcar, they look cheap when getting quotes on line but what ended up as a 108 euro booking, ended up as 176 euro's, they just hound you for more and have got you by the b##ls

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

Autos Aguirre, there is a thread running here somewhere. Really good and closest to the border, just over the road. You can book direct or we got a better rate with them through economycarhire, which has now morphed into Zest, so I'll assume they deal with them too - didn't find Autos Aguirre through any other brokers.

AVIS is IN Gibraltar, but that potentially carries problems if the Spanish mess about on the car border, as they do.

For reply 1 - we thought my old mother might be with us last April 9 (in the event she wasn't) and whether you book direct or through Zest AA will have the car right there next to their in-airport desk for 20 euros. In any case I don't think it's more than 200 metres away outside the border.

If you are looking for a villa somewhere up toward Cadiz - we did the same search last year and I can highly recommend Casas Conil

https://www.casa-conil.com/home.html

After much searching on Homeaway etc (they do post on there) I dealt directly with them. They are actually a German couple who live in both Spain and Germany but I've never met such a helpful 'agency' (we prefer to deal with owners direct)- nothing is too much trouble. Tell them your requirements and they will tell you what is available.

All around the general area of Conil, which I can also recommend.

Edited: 08 May 2017, 06:12
London, United...
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

We have a hire car booked from La Línea office on Monday 24 July, hopefully before 8pm (if our flight is not delayed). We have an infant of 4 years with us. Will a car seat be available please. We were told by your head office that it wouldn't be a problem

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

I think you need to e-mail Autos Aguirre from their website, not ask TripAdvisor.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,846 posts
292 reviews
8. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

I think the normal office opening hours for Autos Aguirre is up to 8pm. If you have a late flight they normally charge out of office fee being €25. Mobile contact number on door.

9. Re: Car hire - in La Linea or Gibraltar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2018, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about La Linea de la...