We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling with kids

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling with kids

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows which outfit would be the best for snorkeling on a day trip. There's 8 of us, 4 girls ages 3 to 11. Are there good areas for snorkeling?

Thanks in advance~!

Britney!

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Following this thread. We will be there with our two girls (8,12) in March and would also like to snorkel

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
836 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling with kids

We did a tour to Saona island with proexcursionsbayahibe.com/snorkling-tours/to… and really enjoyed it. You could also check with the dive shops http://scubafun.info/ and for private tours http://www.divingdr.com/en_US/

Mentioned in this post
Saona Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Saona Cafe, Restaurant...
684 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling with kids

If you are interested in a private excursion, we offer this for our diving but also non-diving / snorkeling clients. You won't have to follow any set schedule, it will be all up to you.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling with kids

I have no experience of GoDiveBayahibe, but the suggestion of a private trip sounds very sensible bearing in mind the 3 year old. I don't think I would want to take such a small child on one of the speedboat/catamaran trips which could be too long for her as well as possibly crowded, noisy and with insufficient shade.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful! :-)

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
542 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Make sure you can outswim at least one child for when the sharks arrive.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling with kids

I'd suggest that you bring your own life jackets for the tiny ones. The excursions and hotels provide standard sized vests for teens/adults, but they don't really offer a full range including those for toddlers. (Same thing applies for car seats in cabs and on airport transfers.)

My favourite boat tour is the Saona VIP offered by Seavis Bayahibe. My favourite snorkelling location is at Canto de la Playa which has a breakwater making the shallow reefs particularly easy to negotiate for a weak swimmer like me, the waters are calm for youngsters and it's a beautiful day for non-snorkelers too. They use a speedboat that can get a bit bumpy over the waves. Part of the fun, but not for pregnant women so maybe you'd want to watch that with a 3 year old as well.

Where are you staying? You may have good opportunities for snorkelling right at the hotel.

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Saona Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Saona Cafe, Restaurant...
684 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Reply to: Snorkeling with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted