We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
183 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

Hello all,

Looking at a potential August 2012 vacation and our travel agent suggested Iberostar Paraiso del Mar.

The past two years we've stayed at Ibero's Rose Hall Beach in Montego Bay and really enjoyed it, but wanted to change things up a little this year.

Wanted to know if anyone had been to both the Jamaica and Mexico Ibero's and could compare them.

Also I see there are 5 IB's in Playa Paraiso. I assume the Grand is adults only like in Jamaica. Are all 5 next to each other? Is Del Mar at the bottom of the ladder so to speak?

Looking for a nice beach, pool, & entertainment for a relaxing vacation with wife and twin 8 year olds.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

Yes, all five are next to each other with the Grand being adult only. As a guest of the Del Mar you would have full access to the IB Beach (they share everything) but no access to the Lindo, Maya or Grand.

The IB resorts will provide you a "a nice beach, pool, & entertainment for a relaxing vacation". One thing to keep in mind though is that August is a very hot month and the buffets are open air. On a 7 night visit you will have 3 a la carte dinners so four nights you'll be dining at a non-air conditioned buffet.

You may wish to look into booking the Lindo or Maya as all the dinner restaurants, including the buffet, are air conditioned. You also are able to dine a la carte each night if you'd prefer and you would have full access to the Beach and Del Mar resorts.

Warren
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

I just returned from the Del Mar for the 9th time. I would suggest going to the Lindo because of the pool--there's a wave pool and lazy river the kids would enjoy. If you booked the del mar or beach you wouldn't have access to the Lindo--if you booked the Lindo you could use the Del mar/beach. Yes, it will be hot and the Lindo has air conditioning at both the buffet and restaurants. Del Mar /Beach is an open atmosphere for dinner--which is what we like--it's like dining outside. Have fun!!

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

we have been to both the Paraiso Beach and Maya as well as the Suites in Jamaica.

The Del Mar / Beach are the bottom of the pile just like the Rose Hall beach would be. The Lido / Maya are the upper scale similar to the Rose Hall Suites.

The grand is adults only in both places.

We love Jamaica as a family. We found the entertainment staff were much better and english is the native language so there was never any language barriers.

The LIndo / Maya have much larger rooms and you can eat a la carte every night vs only a few nights at the Del Mar / Paraiso Beach. Again you can eat at the lower resorts but if you stay at the lower resorts then food choices are more limited. Mexico is much more established and there are nice walks through the resort forested area which is nice after you make a piggie of yourself at the food stations. We love the breakfast buffet at the Paraiso beach though as there is a lot of wildlife around. Buffet has a fish pond surrounding it which is nice to watch as well there are peacocks etc. More top shelf liquor as well as the higher resorts but that doesn't make much difference in my mixed drinks.

The pools in Mexico are huge. They run the length of the resort so it is easier to find a spot close to your room. Pool is much better than Jamaica Ocean is a bit further to walk but nothing to be worried about (maybe 4 minute walk vs 2 in Jamaica). The ocean is a bit more wavy as the reef in Jamaica takes away much of the waves but to me that was more fun with the kids wave jumping etc anyway. We went at the end of Sept about 10 years ago and had a very bad wave day on our last day which turned out to be the major hurricane that ripped through the area two days later.

The lindo / maya have a wave pool and lazy river (not as lazy as at the suites in Jamaica) and I have seen pictures of a water splash park as well but I think that was for younger kids so not much of a selling feature for you.

You will not be making a mistake by going there. If you have any specific questions then email me direct and I will answer them. If you can afford the price differential then upgrade to the Lindo / Maya if not stay at the Del Mar and have a great vacation with a slighter smaller room and less food choices. We loved both.

We just came back from the Barcelo Palace in Puerto Aventurus Mexico. Great vacation. Not sure how price compares but check it out. Best snorkeling from the beach ever.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

Great feedback! Thanks everyone! I'm sure we'll have more questions as we start digging into the details of this trip such as excursions, shoppin and whatnot.

I will price out the cost of a Maya/Lindo upgrade. Both times in Jamaica we toyed with upgrading to the Suites, but stuck with the Beach with no regrets.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

Satellite image of the 5 resorts:

wikimapia.org/…b

6. Re: Playa Paraiso Iberostars for family vaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:16