We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurulu Eco Park

Which Habarana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hurulu Eco Park

We are planning to visit Sri Lanka in September and have seen Hurulu Eco Park mentioned a number of times as a good place to see Wild Elephant. Where is the best place to pick up a jeep safari? We are most likely planning to stay in Habarana but havent decided on accomodation yet. What time is best for safari? Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

Safaris are either 6-9 am or 3-6 pm. Jeep drivers in Habarana will know which park near Habarana is best on the day.

Hans

Matale, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

Hi,

Yes, the drivers will know which park is best for the day from the three. You can find jeeps in many places in Habarana town and around. You can also find jeeps in front of the parks.

Sash

Colombo, Sri Lanka
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

Hi hurulu eco park is very small one and you can see elephants when Minneriya reservoir overflows. The Elephants move to Hurulu eco park from Minneriya national park when the Minneriya reservoir overflows. first try Minneriya national park before Hurulu eco park. As well there is a short way (10KM) to go Sigiriya from habarana (not along the main road). the road is good and you can go easily there. So dont miss visiting Sigiriya if you haven't been there before. There is a nice hotel in Habarna with swimming pool. I stayed once i visited Habrana. if you would like i will PM the details.

I recommend Udawalwe national park for wild elephants. that is the place you can see most of wild elephants (Depends on the weather)

London, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

"You can find jeeps in many places in Habarana town and around".

I looked on google earth. Habarana looked like a cross roads with a petrol station on the corner and some small guest houses.

How many jeep places are there?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,797 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

Well yes I'd argue the statement in #2. The main jeep gathering place I know of is between the main northeast-southwest road and the entrance to Minneriya; it's a small road restaurant/cafe mainly visited by locals, basically at the corner of main road and the road to park entrance. The jeeps park there and the drivers gather inside.

But anyhow, the best way to book a jeep to a park is indirect: just ask your accomodation or the tuktuk drivers waiting outside it to get a good one at a decent price, which is Rs 4500-5000 for the 2.5 hours safari. Includes pickup from your accomodation if it's in Habarana itself; if you stay elsewhere you have to arrange your own transport to the gathering place.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Next to the guesthouses Habarana has two huge hotels, Lodge and Village, on adjoining lands...

Edited: 07 June 2013, 04:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

cheers Eric,

thanks for all your help on this forum, i'm beginning to get a picture of what to do & ask for. We are staying 2 nights at Chaaya village, so easiest thing, from you're advice is to ask them to phone and sort a jeep safari for us from there the night before.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,797 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

Yes great, and just keep in mind the target price mentioned above. Hotel desks often are very friendly but some of their staff sometimes are too keen on commission to be reliable in getting a fair price; fallback as mentioned are the tuktuk/cab drivers outside and further 'safari boys' (brothers of the beach boys near other hotels)...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

Thanks that's very useful. We havent booked out accomodation yet but I have a place in mind in Habarana :)

9. Re: Hurulu Eco Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Habarana