We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
Taxis
Save

Hello Everyone,

Is there taxis available in Grundarfjorour? Would like to get to Stykkislholmur from Grundarfjorour. Also, how far walk is it from Kirkjufell to Grundarfjorour? Thank you in advance for any information you can impart.

7 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
15,342 posts
90 reviews
78 helpful votes
1. Re: Taxis
Save

Kirkjufell??? Do you mean the mountain or the foss? If the mountain-- some more specific location needed.

Edited: 4 years ago
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
2. Re: Taxis
Save

No taxis in those areas.

I haven't checked what Google maps calculate as a walking distance between somewhere in Grundarfjörður till the place where people stop for the classic shot of Kirkjufell. Maybe 2 hours or so.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,296 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Taxis
Save

a) How are you going to reach Grundarfjörður in the first place ?

b) How much business do you think a taxi driver will get in a village with 899 (eighthundred-ninety-nine) inhabitants and "road system" of less than 4 miles ? https://en.ja.is/kort/?type=aerial&x=298826&y=498241&z=8

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Taxis
Save

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm from LA and never been to Iceland...Going with a group tour that will spend a day around Snaefellsnes Peninsula but will only spend the most minimal time for photo stop at Kirkjufell...in the afternoon, the group tour end with a stop at the shark museum...I'd rather skip that and be dropped off at Kirkjufell...to walk around a bit there and take more photos...However, I will need a ride back to Stikkisholmur where the tour group is staying.

Anyone has any suggestions how to get back to Stikkisholmur from Kirkjufell???

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: Taxis
Save

Hitchhiking.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,296 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Taxis
Save

There are no perfectly reliable options available. Hitchhiking is one, but if one looks into the road statistics there is less than 1 car per minute during the afternoon on average. The number seems to drop after 8pm, at least it did yesterday: http://www.road.is/travel-info/road-conditions-and-weather/charts/st61/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Taxis
Save

Doesn't seem like a reliable option nor does it seem safe...

Reply to: Taxis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.