We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Iceland in February

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
5 days in Iceland in February
Save

Hello,

I'll be traveling alone in Iceland for 5 days in February. I need some opinions on 2 itineraries I have come up with. No need to warn me of the dangers of driving in snow-I live in one of the snowiest cities in the world.

My main objectives for this trip are to 1-see the northern lights and 2-to see orcas in the wild.

Itinerary 1:

Arrive in Reykjavik (5am)-spend the day and overnight here.

Drive to Dalvik and spend day 2 and 3 (I have a friend who owns property up there)

Drive to Grundarfjordur and spend day 4, overnight here

Drive back to Reykjavik spend the day and leave in the afternoon/evening.

I'm either planning on the Blue Lagoon the first or last day, and also possibly the Golden circle one of those days as well, weather depending.

Itinerary 2:

Arrive in Reykjavik -spend the day, overnight

Day 2-golden circle, overnight in Reykjavik

Day 3 drive to Grundarfjord, overnight 2 nights

Day 5, return to Reykjavik, blue lagoon

Is it worth seeing the golden circle sights if the weather is not good?

I'm leaning towards Itinerary 2 as it's less driving, and I can always come back during spring/fall and see my friend in Dalvik. But-I heard the Northern Lights are better up there-not sure if that's true (as opposed to the Snaefellsbaer peninsula). And I heard the drive is beautiful, although I'm not sure how much I'll be able to see if it's buried under snow.

Also-any recommendations for restaurants or shops in Reykjavik?

Can I get round Reykjavik without a car? I figure I can just rent a car when I'm driving out of the city, but in an around, I may not need it? Many thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
15,362 posts
90 reviews
78 helpful votes
1. Re: 5 days in Iceland in February
Save

You need to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment, Neither seeing the NL or orcas are a sure thing and standing on a whaler for 3 hrs will perhaps be the wettest and coldest thing that you have ever done . Perhaps ask you friend if he recommends the boat tour. Buried under snow is more likely to be Buffalo in winter, not a lot of Iceland

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: 5 days in Iceland in February
Save

Snow is not the problem in Iceland, it's wind and ice. Nobody knows what it will be like during your time here. There may be days when it is not safe to drive. It's good to have three plans in the middle of winter and stay flexible. If the weather is ok then itinerary 2 is ok.

Boston...
Level Contributor
47,256 posts
1,243 reviews
323 helpful votes
3. Re: 5 days in Iceland in February
Save

Dalvik from Reykjavik is about a 6 hour drive in GOOD weather. In February there will likely be road closures or at least bad conditions that would make this drive take much longer.

I'd go with Plan B and keep an eye out on the forecasts and road conditions as even Grundarfjordur might be a stretch.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: 5 days in Iceland in February
Save

HildurOsp-I'm very flexible, but I'd also like to have accommodations set up ahead of time, rather than try to plan something the day of. But-perhaps that's easier done than I think, being that it's the low season for travel? I prefer to use Airbnb or hostels rather than a hotel. So perhaps use Reykjavik as a home base and take day trips depending on weather? I suppose a third option could be Hella, a friend mentioned it to me, but I had no plans of heading south. Off to do more research! Thank you!

Mathladyca49-I had no intention of doing a boat tour (not sure where you go that idea)-there is an inlet in Grudarfjordur where Orcas hang out in winter. You can stand on a bridge and see them from the road. I completely understand that I cannot anticipate when or if I will see NLs or orcas, but I've heard that is a good place to spot them, and you can follow a blog that reports daily sightings.

Northern_Traveler00- I know it's a long drive to Dalvik, that's my hesitation. So, perhaps it's best to postpone that until a summer trip. I guess if the road to Grundarfjordur is closed I could head to Hella? I hate the thought of staying in Reykjavik for 5 days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
47,256 posts
1,243 reviews
323 helpful votes
5. Re: 5 days in Iceland in February
Save

Overnight tours are the best bang for the buck. 2 day/1 night or 3 day/2 night South Coast tours include lodging and often some meals and you don't have to worry about paying attention to the road, you can just enjoy the scenery.

Reply to: 5 days in Iceland in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.