We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berserkjahraun moss lava field

Syracuse, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
Berserkjahraun moss lava field
Save

I read Berserkjahraun is very unique moss lava field in iceland, I mean not many looks like it - is it true?

I would like to minimize driving on non paved road as possible (unles it cannot). If we come on road 54 I see in google maps a smaller gavel road from it to the lake and it seems around 1.5km or 2 km. Do you think I can park the car in the start of the gavel road (quite wide) on the side of it and just continue by foot? or maybe there is section which is better for driving inside and from there can continue walking?

Coming on summer.

4 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Berserkjahraun moss lava field
Save

I don't know what sort of information you are looking at but to me it reads as nonsense. Berserkjahraun is not a location. Berserkjahraun is actually a very large lava field covering a greater area than the city of Syracuse (!) I notice Syracuse in your profile description and decided to use it as reference. ;-) Part of road 54 goes through the field. So do parts of roads 56 and 577 f.e. where they connect to road 54. Enjoy the lava field.

Edited: 4 years ago
Syracuse, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
2. Re: Berserkjahraun moss lava field
Save

I very grateful for your response. I saw this article:

https://www.zigzagonearth.com/berserkjahraun-iceland/

and it says that: "be aware that the path is quite bumpy in some places". I would liek to see the most impressive part of the moss lava field. So is it possible to park the cark somewhere and just go for a walk and return. Can I just park it right after the turn to road 558 (besides the main road) and shoulld I drive on the road 558 itself and find parking space inside?

I prefer to minimize risks for tires and also enjoy walking next to beautiful moss lava field.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
3. Re: Berserkjahraun moss lava field
Save

Hi, we drove on the dirt road through the Berserkjahraun lava field, mid May, in a small SUV (KIA Sportage) and had no difficulties. The road is more dirt than gravel, had some potholes and boulders, but it was fairly easy to navigate. I think it would be fine in a smaller, lower to the ground car; you automatically want to drive slowly to take everything in, there is very little traffic and we passed only 2-3 cars the entire route, so there is plenty of room to drive around a larger boulder or pothole should you come across one. The lava formations covered in moss are sensational :)

We were driving on the north side of the peninsula, heading west from Stykkisholmur to Grundarfjordur, and turned left onto Road 558 at the most easterly intersection; from what I recall, the moss and lava formations were most impressive at that end.

Edited: 4 years ago
NJ
Level Contributor
306 posts
4. Re: Berserkjahraun moss lava field
Save

We are trying to figure how long it would take to drive road 558. What would be an estimate of how long it should take to drive from one end to the other with the usual stopping? If we don't want to drive the entire road, which end has the better sights for a short drive and turn around?

Reply to: Berserkjahraun moss lava field
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.