We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses

Millbrae, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
19 helpful votes
Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses
Save

I am currently staying in Olafsvik this evening and will still be in Iceland for another 3 days (flying out Wednesday).

Are cetaceans more plentiful in this region (off Olafsvik and Grundarfjordur)? Or are my chances of seeing them better from the Capital (Reykjavik)?

If anyone sees this message and has a strong opinion, I'd love to hear your thoughts. We plan to either do it tomorrow using LakiTours (as they have trips out of the Snaefnellses peninsula), or wait until we drive back to Reykjavik.

Any help wouuld be appreciated! Thanks.

--Jon

4 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
90 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses
Save

No need to double post- as you can see every post gets sent to the Iceland forum anyway,

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
2. Re: Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses
Save

I really don't know, but we were reading in the news very recently that there's a LOT of fish these days on the shores along the Snæfellsnes Peninsula these days.

http://www.visir.is/smabatur-med-tolf-tonn-af-storum-thorski-eftir-daginn/article/2017170329421

It's actually unprecedented quantities of cod.

Since cod is one of the fish that whales eat, it should follow that you're in the right place at the right time NOW, for whale watching. I mean... whales are not stupid. They follow the fish ... I guess.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
3. Re: Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses
Save

If you don't see any whales over the next few days, while in Iceland, you can always try seeing them once you return to California. The coast of California is a great place for whale watching!

Millbrae, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses
Save

Thanks DeltaWing. Thanks yes-Rvk.

Yes, as a Bay Area local who has lived near San Francisco for more than 40+ years, I still haven't gone out from my own home to look for them.

Interesting enough, it is so much cheaper in America. I think there is a groupon for less than 1/2 the price. The AM tour on the peninsula has sold out, so the schedule might not lend itself well for us.

Appreciate the local link to the news!

Jon

Reply to: Better chance to see whales in Rejkavik or Snaefnellses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.