We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Hike

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Level Contributor
53 posts
58 reviews
69 helpful votes
Glacier Hike
Save

Our family of 4 adults is interested in booking a 2+ hrs glacier hike

excursion in Snaefellsjokull National Park.

We will be arriving via cruise ship on Thursday, July 20th to the pier

at Grundarfjordur and be in port from noon -6pm.

Does anyone know of a tour operator that might work with us to accomplish this?

The cruise ship wants $400pp to take their sponsored excursion.

Any recommendations for similar activities would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Glacier Hike
Save

AFAIK there is only one company offering tours on Snæfellsjökull glacier.

https://www.west.is/en/inspiration/services/snaefellsjokull-glacier-tours

That companywill probably handle all the glacier tours from Grundarfjörður that day. You might check what they offer.

Canada
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
90 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: Glacier Hike
Save

check out Arctic Adventures, Also do a google search- this is how I found this company,

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
3. Re: Glacier Hike
Save

This ones operate from location: http://www.summitguides.is/magical-glacier-hike

The only issue is that their activity tours are though for those who will be arriving by car. Their meeting point is just a bit outside of Hellissandur: http://www.summitguides.is/meeting-points

So it's either you rent a car from Grundarfjörður (which I think does not exist), or contact the company for a private arrangement, if they can do such thing. I've no idea.

Edited: 4 years ago
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
4. Re: Glacier Hike
Save

I hope some of the following information will be helpful to you and will help manage your expectations:

I believe there is only one company that provides the actual guides for the Snaefellsjokull hike, and that is Summit Guides mentioned by yes-Ryk in post 3. Other companies may offer the glacier hike on their websites, but if you check the details they're all available on the exact same days and show similar availability. I suspect most of these companies, which seem to include transportation from Reykjavik to a starting point near Hellisandur, subcontract with Summit Guides to do the actual hike, but I don't know this for sure; maybe you can ask them?

Your cruise ship may have already made arrangements with one of these companies, because they would have access to vehicles capable of transporting groups of individuals from the port, or they use a local driver with a sufficiently large vehicle. Your best bet is to contact Summit Guides to see if they have suggestions for getting from the Cruise port to their starting point near Hellisandur, without joining the actual ship group; I suspect, for various reasons, they will not.

The other point that I want to make is that a hike on Snæfellsjokull is not going to be like hikes on other, much larger, glaciers in Iceland; it's quickly melting and the surface seems to lack the deep crevasses and moulins found on the huge glaciers located further east. That's not to say the hike won't be a worthwhile experience, just maybe different than what you're expecting. We travelled by snowcat to the summit on a perfectly clear sunny day last May; the views of the peninsula were amazing but, again, the experience of being on the glacier was very different than elsewhere. Here is a link to a blog, found randomly on the internet, that will give you an idea about Snaefellsjokull's actual topography: https://magdalenasabinanowak.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/a-mini-expedition-on-snaefellsjokull/

If you decide not to do the glacier hike, do consider signing up for a tour of the peninsula; it is a lovely part of Iceland and definitely worth seeing :)

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Reply to: Glacier Hike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.