We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur

2 posts
Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Hey, I've recently booked an apartment in Grundarfjordur and am trying to work out the best way to get there from the airport. Is there a shuttle service or something available because I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

There is no shuttle, the public bus would take several changes and many hours. Rental car is the only way that makes sense.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
18,588 posts
118 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Do you mean Grundarfjörður on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula? Without a car that is not a good place to stay (like most of Iceland outside of Reykjavík).

I assume you would have to take a shuttle into Reykjavík and then take bus 57 to Borgarnes, then bus 58 to Vatnaleið and then bus 82 to Grundarfjörður:

https://www.straeto.is/en/timatoflur/3

Depending on where your apartment is you might then have to walk and depending on how the times line up you might have to stay overnight in one of the towns mentioned. It will also probably take you 5-6 hours on public transport best case, even if everything lines up perfectly.

So all in all without a car you really should stay in Reykjavík or book guided tours. Everything else will be a huge hassle and require a lot of research and work.

When are you travelling?

Edited: 3 years ago
2 posts
3. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Thanks for all the help! We've kinda already booked the place. I never knew it would be so much hassle.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
18,588 posts
118 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Iceland only has a small population and 2/3 of them live in the capital area.

The rest of them have cars, so there is very little need for public transport.

When are you travelling? In winter self-driving might be risky.

I really would look into cancelling the place and staying in Reykjavík unless you are visiting in summer when renting a car and driving will be much safer.

Coming to Iceland requires a lot of research and planning unless you are doing guided tours, because may things will be diffferent from what you may be used to (weather and road conditions, rental car and driving challenges, prices, public transport, weather etc.).

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,196 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
5. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Grundarfjörður is 3.5 hours at least, from the airport. Way up on the west coast. Possibly one public bus a day. Rent a car !

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
6. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Yeah, that's the beauty of going to isolated places. Lack of service ! :)

Grundarfjörður population = 872 inhabitants :)

Before anyone asks, there are no trains in Iceland. Not one.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Hope you booked at least two nights. The only bus runs about 4 times a week. In wintertime it's frequently cancellef due to high winds..... if you had been there last weekend you might have been stuck there for 5 days I belive.

Edited: 3 years ago
Boston...
Level Contributor
48,375 posts
1,269 reviews
328 helpful votes
8. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

I hope you're not going there in winter time!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

To put things in a perspective.

The population of Grundarfjörður january 1st 2017 was 869 people.

It takes about 15 buses with 60 seats each to move all the people in Grundarfjörður.

😉

Reykjavik, Iceland
1 post
2 reviews
10. Re: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Save

Renting a car at the airport is the best way and the only sensible way.

Reply to: Keflavik airport to Grundarfjordur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.