We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus service

Manchester, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
Bus service
Save

Hi. My friend and I will be driving the ring road in a camper van in September 2019. We will be stopping for three nights near the end of our trip in Grundarfjörður to stay in a cabin. Another friend will be flying into the country on the 21st to meet us at the cabin. My question is...what is the best way for her to get there from the airport? It's a Saturday, and I don't see any buses that go that far. Is there a town she could get a bus to somewhat close to the peninsula that we might pick her up? It does not make sense for her to rent a car as we will have a vehicle already.

Thank you.

2 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: Bus service
Save

So I take it that you have already checked the bus schedule online, right? https://www.straeto.is/

I just checked options there, and used some Saturday date in April, as an example, as it might be too soon to search for a travel date that happens in 8 months.

She will probably have to stay overnight in Borgarnes. Or do the bus trip on a Sunday.

PS: Optionally, she could try to use the carpooling page to request a ride - http://www.samferda.is/ - then pay for gasoline as the car owner considers fair.

Edited: 2 years ago
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Bus service
Save

This journey would take three or more buses and probably take more than 10 hours. And that's if all the buses are running and your friend is arriving at a bus-friendly time. It's not a good option. I would either have her rent a car or try to pick her up in Reykjavik.

Reply to: Bus service
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.