We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 54 with a motorhome?

Barcelona, Spain
6 posts
Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

Hi,

we will be visiting Iceland on August, driving a "big" motorhome (6 people). We will mostly be driving on Road 1, but we are planning some side tours.

One of these to visit the Snaefellsnes peninsula, coming from the east (Stadur). But I'm hesitant about the route.

The planned route would be: from Stadur on Road 1 southbound, until we find road 60 to the north (it seems paved), then west on road 54 (gravel?) until Grundarfjorour.

Is it good choice? Is the northern part of road 54 easily passable with a big motorhome? (I've read some mixed reports in this road, some of them not recommending it, some other saying that the road is fairly good and easy)

Any advice would be of great help!

Thank you vey much

Joan A.

12 replies to this topic
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,196 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

The 54 is just a "regular" hard packed gravel road, fit for all vehicles. No worries. Of course you drive a little slower on those roads, than you would on tarmac roads. And take care when meeting other vehicles.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
2. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

I'm having some trouble finding "Staður", and that's no surprise. The word means "Place", and there's surely some place called Place, but believe me, it's not something that I've ever heard about before... :)

You can have a look at those roads on by clicking the webcams on the map: http://vegasja.vegagerdin.is/vefmyndavelar/?xmin=251581&ymax=550650&xmax=450121&ymin=409590

Get a virtual tour here: http://en.ja.is/kort/?type=map

Just click on the 360° mark, position the mouse on the blue line where your road is, and there you are, you can see how it looks like :) It's very similar to google maps.

Que disfrutes del viaje :)

Edited: 6 years ago
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
3. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

And here's Road 54, on google maps ...

https://goo.gl/maps/QZf59

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
4. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

Diane, staður (without a capital "s") means, as you said, a place but Staður (with a capital "S") means a major farm with a church and there is actually a number of them, the one the OP is referring to is in Hrutafjordur (Staðarskáli probably rings a bell)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

Yeah, that DOES ring the bell :)

I knew about the implications of "Staður" :))) (and thanks)

Barcelona, Spain
6 posts
6. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

Thank you to everybody for your comments!

icelandicguide: i'll go for the 54! thanks! :-)

Diane_ph: thank you for the map links! I'll use them for sure

ValdiSig: thank you for clarification about icelandic names! Quite difficult for me :-)

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

Hello everubody:

And what about Route 54 in february with a 4x4? Is it possible to go from Borganes to Grundarfjörður only by route 54 (without turning to route 56). ??

Thanks

Claudio.-

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

If there isn't a storm it's usually ok. Winter conditions of course.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

Thank you !! I can't wait to be there :)

Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
15 helpful votes
10. Re: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Save

I have just had a run through the map : http://vegasja.vegagerdin.is/eng/

and am starting to get a little worried about driving from Hosfos down to Stykkisholmur via Route 54 with my motorhome.

I had initially thought I would not have to encounter much gravel road and opted out of the Insurance for gravel but am reconsidering that.

Do you think the rental company would consider any scratches from driving (albeit really carefully) on these stretches of gravel and require us to pay for them?

oh, btw, I am planning on visiting Iceland during the last week of August - 1st week of Sept

Edited: 3 years ago
Reply to: Route 54 with a motorhome?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.