We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
13 helpful votes
From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur
Save

Hello,

Me and my friend want to visit Iceland in February.

My friend has a liscense but not longer then a year when we go.

Is there a company who rent without that rule?

If not...is there any other way to visit grundarfjordur?

I think a taxi might be expensive and a day tour is not an option because we want to stay there for 4/5 days.

I am searching but I cant find any usefull information so I hope someone here can help us out ☺️.

Thanks

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,296 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur
Save

About the public buses (bus 82), they are probably not suitable for your plans. If you plan to explore the nature in Snæfellsnes and not just one or two towns in Snæfellsnes you have to either take a tour or rent a car. Public buses are merely to transport locals from a-b or b-a. If you look at the timetables there is one drive with bus 82 early in the mornings before work and one drive in early evenings after work (service intended for locals).

It takes half a day to go one way towards Grundarfjörður from Reykjavík for example.

Here are the timetables:

straeto.is/media/…Leid-57-sumar2015.pdf

straeto.is/media/…Leid-58-sumar2015.pdf

straeto.is/media/…Leid-82-sumar2015.pdf

NOTE: These are summer timetables and will most likely change in winter. Also, Snæfellsnes is one of the windiest places you can find in Iceland and if the windforce is too high the bus route is simply cancelled, in part or in full. In february that can happen for many days in a row, leaving you stranded having no alternative other than strike lucky hitching a ride / carpool.

-

Your have only two available departures from Reykjavík is bus 57 from Mjódd if you want to catch bus 58 towards Stykkishólmur and bus 82 from their meeting point. One is 7:45 and the other is 17:30.

-

Taxi would be way too expensive.

-

Regading driving conditions, I wonder if your friend has any decent winter driving experience. The reason I wonder is because you or your friend DO NOT want to begin your winter driving experience by driving an icy icelandic country road in the middle of winter.

If the contitions are good they would look like any of these featured in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E07szxoi8kU

Relatively bad conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLqKRWZJRS8

Rather bad conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuMNvTcK2UQ

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
2. Re: From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur
Save

Just wondering, is there a specific reason why you want to spend 5 days in winter in Grundarfjordur? Not that it's a bad town, it's just that it's really a fishing port with about 900 people, and without a car, there's not a whole lot to do. There's Kirkjufell, which is worth seeing, and good hiking (though maybe not in winter), but not much else in the town.

I was talking to the chef/owner of the hotel there, and he said that even with the sun up, it's in shade for about 3 months in winter (north facing and mountains to the south), which I'd imagine is a bit dispiriting.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
3. Re: From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur
Save

You can try the carpooling site here in Iceland. You're expected to help out with gas expenses (the driver tells you what he considers is your share).

http://www.samferda.net/

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur
Save

Thank for the response.

I am waiting on a email back from Straeto hopefully they can help us out.

Yes there is a specific reason...orca's.

Been there 2 years ago in February.

We had a beautifull sunny day then ☺️.

We are not sure how many times the bus drives in winter and how many times in a week so we dont know how long we will stay there.

Allready seen Reykjavik and did tours and all that stuff so this is our main reason to go.

5. Re: From reykjavik to Grundarfjordur

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2019, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.