We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking guesthouses in advance

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
booking guesthouses in advance
Save

Hi everyone, I am planning a driving trip in Iceland between 9 - 15 April this year and will be looking at staying in guesthouses along the way. Is advance booking required or will there be rooms/beds still available if I leave it to till the night before getting to a destination to book a place?

I haven't as yet planned a rigorous itinerary. Was hoping to just drive along the Ring Road and making decisions regarding the next destination as I go along.

4 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
68 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: booking guesthouses in advance
Save

It's fine to do so, in April. However, it needs to be mentioned that driving in Iceland in winter might be way more difficult than you expect, even if you have Arctic driving experience.

About booking accommodation along the way, it does take quite a lot of time on logistics. See if you can spare yourself time by selecting beforehand where you want to be.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
25 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: booking guesthouses in advance
Save

You should definately prebook, even if travelling in April! If you look for example at booking.com during any of your travel dates, in locations all around the island, you will see that almost everything is already sold out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
47,167 posts
1,244 reviews
319 helpful votes
3. Re: booking guesthouses in advance
Save

That's a VERY quick Ring Road trip, you'll end up missing more than you see. Might want to restrict your visit to half the country and see things well, then see the rest on your next trip. Especially in winter where your speeds will often be restricted.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: booking guesthouses in advance
Save

Thank you everyone, that's really good advice. Will be super careful about driving and will definitely book in advance :)

Reply to: booking guesthouses in advance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grundarfjorour
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.