We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in US dollars? I-phones in Cuba?

Stratford, ON
1 post
Save Topic
Tipping in US dollars? I-phones in Cuba?

We're heading to Cuba (Sol Cayo Guillermo) tomorrow and after talking to other people who have been there, we were advised to take US dollars (1's and 5's) for tipping. Now I'm reconsidering if this is actually a good idea.... Is this a currency that the staff can use? Any information you can provide would be helpful.

We're also planning on taking our iPhone with us, however we are receiving conflicting information. Some people have had no issues bringing them into the country, while others have had their phones confiscated, taken apart, etc. Recent experiences on travelling to Cubs with an iPhone would be great.

Thanks!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in US dollars? I-phones in Cuba?

Do not take US money to Cuba..,bring Canadian money in good condition bills,no marks, tears ect.You can exchange your Cad. money to CUC when you arrive in Cuba..,sorry can't help with the Iphone question.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in US dollars? I-phones in Cuba?

In Cuba, you should tip in CUC. If you tip in US, the workers will have to exchange it to use it (you cannot pay anything in Us in Cuba) and will ahve a 10% penalty for exchanging it. Take canadian and change it for CUC when you arrive in Cuba.

Look at the top questions about Cuba, there is 2 great inside pages about currency.

As for the Iphone, it really should not be a problem. I never heard of anyone having their phone taken appart.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in US dollars? I-phones in Cuba?

Hey bluebelle

Heres the link for some really good insight into currency in Cuba.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cuba:…

Cheers

4. Re: Tipping in US dollars? I-phones in Cuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo