We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

London, United...
Level Contributor
558 posts
47 reviews
cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

what are the differences (pluses and minuses) between the two, and the same between hotels sol cayo coco and sol cayo guillermo

Thanks

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

cayo coco 3 story apt. c/w hallways etc, great staff ..

Cayo guillermo spread out bungalows and upper rooms , great staff...

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

went to scc in october last year and just returned from scg on the 2nd june

overall scg better for two main reasons . beach is better and gently sloping . secondly the rooms are set out in a semicircle facing the sea . they can be in pairs ground floor bungalows or in fours with two up two downstairs . we requested an upstairs room which came with a big king size bed . slept ok . virtually all of the rooms have a sea view , which is more visible from the upper floor . blocks six and seven are nearer to pool etc. and handy for that and for those who cannot walk far . then going away in each direction blocks one and 12 are the furthest away .

at the scc rooms are more traditional bigger blocks and only few have sea views .

at the scc the lobby bar is separate to the pool bar and this is good for a quiet drink any time . scg only the one main bar . although there is a small beach bar .

staff at both are very good and food is ok at both . queues for fresh cooking stations are longer at scg . mainly because i think the people staffing them are better ( faster ) at scc.

i found , tended to run out fo certain drinks less so at scc

these are my opinions only . hope it helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
558 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

thanks Hsingjhaj

Was there and difference coco and guillermo, and what was your expirience of cuba?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

cayo coco is closer to the mainland and larger of the two islands linked by a small bridge . guillermo is a very small island only a guess but about 12 km .cuba is good much clearer waters than domnician and jamaica . visit to the cayos is very isolated and relaxing but not the real cuba . you have to go to the mainland for this . people are very friendly and so are the mosquitos . no americans !

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

I think the mosquito's may depend on what time of year you go. If you want to see the 'real' Cuba you will have to go on organised trips. I think hsinghjhaj has given you quite a good account on both places in post number 2.

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

Thanks for asking that nbhwarrior, was about to ask the same queastion myself.

I do have another couple of questions that hsinghjhaj maybe able to answer for me. The 1st question, is either better for families with teenagers 15 & 18? The 2nd question which is better for fishing?

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

The nice thing about the Sol chain is, you can jump on the bus and go use each others facilities during the day. 5 peso bus fee.

Eat, drink ,and be merry at the Sol Cayo coco Sol cayo Guillermo and the Tryp club. The fishing is better at the SCG if you are bringing your own gear.

If you are doing a fishing excursion, it won't matter .

More kids on the Cayo Coco beach.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

hello ,

concerning teenagers , i think the pool is better at sol cayo coco . but at the sol guillermo they have an open area with free pool table , table tennis table and table football . this is located adjacent to the main bar area and also the pool . so useful . also there was always 5 a side football late afternoon on one of the tennis courts and also there is shooting and archery in the mornings .snorkling is good and safe under the melia pier next door .

regards fishing . i like to look ( snorkel ) not kill them ! but probabaly better at scg as people tend for fish off the melia pier . even though officially closed while they refurbish .there is a rickety five bar barrier that a lot people just side stepped . i'm not sure this was inspite of or special arrangement with the guard !

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

Thanks for the info we're swaying towards Guillermo.

We won't be going until next July so I assume there'll be no problem fishing off the melia pier then.

10. Re: cayo guillermo vs cayo coco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo