We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Sandy

uk manchester
Level Contributor
334 posts
27 reviews
Hurricane Sandy

Hi,

Its that time of year again , and Hurricane Sandy is Supposed to be Travelling through Cuba .Looking on the Hurricane watch it is going to pass through the Holguin Area of Cuba.

We did stay in this Area a couple of years ago and we did have a Storm Alert . the Hotel took down all the Parasols down on the beach and moved all the Hobby Cats .The Beaches were empty when the Guys had Finished. We did leave that day even though the weather was quite Windy.

We are Travelling soon but not to Holguin.

Just thought i would mention it on here so that people can keep an eye on what is happening .

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
105,602 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Here is the latest map update:

www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml…

Yesterday's Thomas Cook Manchester flight to Holguin originally due to depart at 12.45 on Wednesday and then rescheduled for 0930 this morning has again been delayed with further information being available at 12.30.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hurricane Sandy

It is very worrying, isn't it.

Good of you to post, there are a few threads going already and a couple of people posted live from Cuba last night. Hope they will be able to let us know how things are later.

Also hoping yeaterday's flight Manchester-Holguin, which was delayed till today, will not be delayed again.

Nickie

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Ha, Ken...thanks for flight update, we posted at the same time!

The footage on the 8am news was quite worrying as it said Cat 2 with 120 mph winds by the time it hit Cuba.

Thinking of our friends over there.

Nickie

uk manchester
Level Contributor
334 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Did Thomas Cook have time to Cancel ?. thinking of all the people stuck at the airport, waiting to hear if they can fly or not.

We wait all year for a Holiday and we are stuck at the Airport not a great start to your holiday . Lets hope the News is Positive for those people ?

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Yes it must be awful, but a chance people take, booking in hurricane season unfortunately....don't think I'd take the chance as I'd be gutted to lose any of my time in Cuba!

Nickie

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
105,602 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Hurricane Sandy

I nearly booked that flight myself but when I went to book the price had jumped by £42. Having endured two previous 24 hour delays flying to Cuba (mechanical problems) I'm glad I didn't book it now. It's so boring being stuck at the airport for that long. It's not as though you have unlimited free access to the internet. At Manchester they give you 30 minutes.

Northampton
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Hurricane Sandy

27 hours so far waiting for the flight out and trust, our agent will never get our business again given the way we have been treated and the shear lack of communications.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
105,602 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Hurricane Sandy

papillon1065:

Of course you are on that flight. I know there is always a lack of communication at these times when you are at the airport. We probably know just as much as you via the internet.

Unfortunately with the situation as it is in Holguin at the moment it would be foolhardy for the aircraft to take off at present. Hopefully by 12:30 the hurricane will have passed over and left Cuba and you will be able to board.

If you have the chance please keep us updated. Where did you stay last night?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Hurricane Sandy

papillon; you have been detained for your own safety and well being,the situation is out of anyones control. They cant tell you what they dont know themselves.

Have heart for the Cuban people who are suffering a lot more than you are; Im sure there are many of them who'd swap places with you right now. Hopefully you will be off the ground in a few hours and whilst you are in the air the Cuban people will be working their butts off to clean up the aftermath of Sandy & make everything safe, clean & tidy for your arrival.

Have a safe flight.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
22,060 posts
98 reviews
10. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Ditto , the People in and around Cuba would love to be here in cold old damp UK.

Chill and wait it out.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo