We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Topic
visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

We (family of 5 with three older teens) are planning a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula for late July. We would like to stay off the “beaten path” and Punta Allen sounds wonderful. However- is July too hot to visit? We know there is no AC. Also, we like to keep busy with snorkeling, kayaking, etc.- are these activities available “off season”.

Thanks for any input!

Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
560 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

July is not to hot in my opinion. All the activities you mentioned are available in July and in fact that is when the weather gets better for snorkeling and fishing.

Some of the hotels do in fact have AC..it depends on your budget and if you

insist on staying on the beach.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

July is typically very hot and very humid. I don't find it too hot but then, I like the heat. However, I wouldn't want to try to sleep anywhere that doesn't have AC at that time of year.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

I have stayed in June and it was hot. There is no way I could stay someplace without AC in July.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

Casa de Ascension in Punta Allen has air conditioning. It's not right on the beach, but only a couple very short blocks. The price is very reasonable and the food is delicious. You could rent 2 or all 3 of the rooms and have some privacy - there are 2 beds in each room. PA is not a great snorkeling place, as the reef is a long ways off, but the Eco tour is excellent.

We were there in late March and Michael said it really was as warm as it gets, but I imagine it gets more humid. We didn't have to run the AC a lot, but it really helped for a few hours as we went to sleep.

Yes, PA is definitely off the beaten path!

Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
560 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. I've stayed in PA during

June, July and August without AC but did have a fan and or ocean breeze.

Buy a cooler and keep ice cold water next to your bed. Regarding the snorkeling , yes it's a boat ride but the South Reef is spectacular and you

have the opportunity to see large fish. Also this is a slow part of the season

and prices can be better negotiated than other times of year.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 00:48
Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

A belated thank you for help-

Thanks!

Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
560 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

Hi,

Please post a report when you return. I'm probably going to go in August.

Thanks

8. Re: visiting in late July- too hot? activities still available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Punta Allen
Recent Conversations