We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Kurunegala to Dambulla

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Save

We are a mother-daughter team going to SL in August. We want to travel mainly by train, but want to go to Dambulla. It seems as if Kurunegala is the nearest train station. How do I arrange a driver / car to take us to Dambulla? Would you recommend that we stay one night in Kurunegala? Can you recommend activities related to nature, gentle hiking, food?

6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
1. Re: from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Save

Kurunegala is not the nearest station to Dambulla.

Have a look at the railway map here http://www.railway.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=186&lang=en

Kekirawa might be one of the closer stations. The train line also goes to other important tourist towns like Annuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.

In my opinion, Kurunegala is not worth a stop at all.

Edited: 7 years ago
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Save

Thank you for the map! The one I was using seem to be outdated. However, my question still remains: how do I organise a driver & car for when I cannot go further by rail -- how do I then get to Dambulla. The reason I thought it would be good to leave the train at Kurunegala because it is a bigger place with perhaps more options. The other option is to continue to Kandy, stay there for a few nights and then a car from there to Dambulla. Please - what do you think?

Later on I would love to travel to Ella by train. From there I will need a car to one of the smaller beaches in the south-west. I have just assumed that the hotel / guest house / someone in town can assist with that. BUT what is a good way to do this??

I know that people just rent a car & driver for the whole time, but I would so prefer not to do that.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73,212 posts
299 reviews
370 helpful votes
3. Re: from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Save

It's best to do on the spot, as the drivers/operators advertised on the web are usually Colombo-based and would have to send the vehicle from there adding to the cost.

Best is to start organising the day before, with help of the acco staff where you stay but possibly also the tuktuk drivers etc. near the entrance. Guidelines to get good quality are here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c89412/Sri-Lanka:Booking.An.Excursion.Or.Multi.Day.Trip.html

And target price is Rs 70-75/km. In a case that you arrive somewhere and need transfer immediately, like Kekirawa, simply ask the tuktuk drivers at the station; you might prepare a bit more as you're not in a good position to negotiate (unlike in the situation given above) but due to the short distances involved that should not be too bad...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Save

Thanks Erik! Finding a driver seems easy enough. Making a booking in a good reliable hotel / guest house seems much more complicated!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73,212 posts
299 reviews
370 helpful votes
5. Re: from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Save

Well indeed it's not that easy. See another top question

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c148004/Sri-Lanka:Guide.To.Booking.Accomodation.html

for at least _some_ help...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: from Kurunegala to Dambulla

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 December 2016, 03:35

Reply to: from Kurunegala to Dambulla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kurunegala
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.