We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

Pinawa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

How is the snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo? and how would it compare to snorkeling from shore at either the Playa Pesquero or the Sol Rio de Luna y Mares in Holguin?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

You will find much better snorkelling at Guardalavaca, and there is not much right in front of Barcelo. Two possibilities.....walk or bike or Hobie Cat to the west end of the beach and snorkel there, which isn't bad, or climb over the rocks at the east end of the beach and check that area out. I haven't done this myself but if I stayed at Barcelo I would try it as it looks more promising than directly in front.....

Every place I have snorkelled in Cuba has yielded something of interest, but for sure some are better than others and require less work (and patience) to find something to look at.

Pinawa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

I was referring to the Barcelo in Cayo Santa Maria. Is that the Barcelo you were referring to as well?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

"I was referring to the Barcelo in Cayo Santa Maria. Is that the Barcelo you were referring to as well?"

Yes.

Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

If you go past the Melia's to the far end of the beach, (you can arrange a taxi with the hotel) there is some beautiful snorkeling. When we were there, there was also Cuban fisherman fishing as well. Absolutely spectacular!! I have not been to either of the 2 locations you have mentioned so I am unable to compare.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

Hola

If you go past the Melia's to the far end of the beach, (you can arrange a taxi)

like chalbe mentions....directly across where the new hotel is being built...however if its windy forget about going, and see if it can be low tide, and swim to the small outcropping...not to bad for this area..not great either....this seems to be the best that we are found in this area....

cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

When you are on the beach in front of the resort, turn right and you will walk for about 15-20 minutes. the beach will end and there are rocks jutting out into the ocean. We snorkelled here, going out and around the rocks to the right.

Lots of small colorful fish and BIG barracudas. They kept following us around, very curious about us.

Have fun!

7. Re: Snorkeling from shore at the Barcelo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 00:16