We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueblo La Estrella

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Pueblo La Estrella

A must visit!!!!!! Beside Barcelo or a few minutes away from all other hotels. 1 peso on the bus or 3 pesos for 2 people, 4 pesos for 4 people in a taxi which only takes a few minutes. The schedule posted at hotels for the bus is incorrect - the bus actually comes every 20 minutes or so back and forth but we found it quicker and more convenient to hop in a taxi. When you want to return to your hotel, there are always people waiting for a taxi to share the cost. It is beautiful and a must see for pictures, etc. There are 8 restaurants (Japanese, Vesubio International, Italian, Seafood, Steak House, Chinese, Cuban, Trattoria Italian). there is also a hamburger eatery and beer garden, ice cream parlour, honey house and a cigar house which is a MUST SEE. There are 2 bars plus a jazz cafe. Also there is a rum house, disco, bowling and billiard centre, spa for over 16 years old, beauty parlour, gym, bank, photo centre, post office, business centre, a couple of stores that have very nice items to purchase, markets set up during the day, a children's playground, live music outside and a replica church tower which you can climb up for a fantastic view and take pictures. It is a beautiful little village to visit. Yes, you must pay for the restaurants, etc. BUT they are very reasonably priced and might want a change from the restaurants at your hotel. A trip here is a must if only to walk around. It is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are staying at the Barcelo, there is a little open air train that brings you here. Any questions, email me.

Edited: 27 December 2010, 08:41
Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

We just returned from the MB and our Sunwing rep told us that they are now charging $5.00 pp for entry into the Pueblo. This is in addition to the cost of getting there on the shuttle or by taxi. As we had no shopping options and needed to pick up a few things we went anyway around 2 in the afternoon (grumbling all the way about having to pay to shop!). We were not charged to get in but there was a structure set up that we had to pass through to enter with no one manning it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Well put ! That says it all.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Paying for transport to a fake tourist trap where you pay for privilege of entering the premises to spend more money shopping for overpriced goods.

Makes sense to me.

Cheers,

Terry

Bancroft, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Terry....It's not a FAKE tourist trap. It's a Real tourist trap.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Excellent point cubanight, I stand corrected...

Cheers,

Terry

London, Canada
Level Contributor
415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

I actually liked the Pueblo. I knew what it was and what it wasn't, so I wasn't expecting a "real cuban town". We went at night and it was nice for a walk. There weren't many people there, but my kids loved playing at the playground and there was live music a couple nights. We didn't pay to get in and it was a short walk as we stayed in the Caribe section of Barcelo. I was told by hotel staff that you have to pay 5CUC to get in on Tuesday and Friday. We went on Tuesday and did not have to pay, but I wouldn't pay to get in.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Like cubasiempre posted in another thread, you don't pay to get in to Pueblo at night, only during the day.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Some really contradictory information going on here.

I Was there two days ago. No entrance fee at 1:00pm.

Even the reps at the hotels don't know when, and if, they are charging to get in.

Who ever said this was to be a model of a Cuban Pueblo? Was there ever question about this?

Highly doubt it!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Sorry, I didn't mention.. We went during the day Tuesday and did not pay.

We also went at night a few nights.

I also forgot to mention to watch the change you get back at the Pueblo. We went to a store to buy apple juice, I gave him 10 CUC for a 3 CUC item. He gave me 2CUC back instead of 7. When I asked for the other 5 back, he said "are you sure?" and then gave me the 5 without any problem.

E S
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Pueblo La Estrella

Just be aware about La Casa Del Habano at Pueblo La Esterella. I purchase some Cohiba Cigars with shopping receipt which are Fake. you can see pictures on my Flicker here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33562144@N03/