We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Cuba for Canadians

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Cuba for Canadians

A quick question for the Canadians ... All we need is a valid Canadian passport and a Cuban Tourist Visa (which, if we are flying with a Canadian carrier, they will be handed out on the airplane while en route to Cuba), correct? Does it matter where the Canadian passport was issued?

TIA!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,836 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

You are correct about the Visa being handed out on the plane. I can't see that it makes any difference where your Canadian passport was issued.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

If it was issued in Newfoundland, then you won't be allowed into Cuba.

I'm only joking. I'm not sure where it was issued is an issue lol. But you have it exactly right. The visa (or more accurately 'Tourist Card') is included in the price of your package. You will recieve one on the plane to fill out. Try not to make any mistakes. It stays inside the passport until you leave Cuba at the time you pay the $25CUC exit fee.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

Correct, all you really need is a valid Canadian Visa and the cards will be distributed by the flight attendants when you are getting close to Cuba. I would recommend you have a pen handy as they don't supply them and it can be a pain trying to borrow one sometimes. Also be careful when filling out the tourist visa as they will charge you if you make a mistake and need another. Not sure I know what you mean by if it matters where the passport was issued? I'm pretty sure every Canadian passport follows the same procedures for getting it. Also might want to verify that it is not expired. Cheers

Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

hello, the only way your Canadian passport will not work is if you are born in Cuba but now hold a Canadian passport.

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

Thanks all for the replies! Posting here is faster and easier to understand than looking it up on the internet myself! :)

My parents are coming to Canada for a visit and they hold Canadian passports. I booked a trip to Cayo Santa Maria over Christmas yesterday but they just told me that they read somewhere that Canadian citizens residing outside of Canada must apply tourist visa at where they are currently resides... I am not sure where they read it and I am just worried that I have to cancel the trip!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,836 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

I'm a UK citizen with a UK Passport and I booked holiday to Cuba flying from Toronto to Holguin. My tourist card was handed out just as everyone else's was.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

...yes other than in mojita's example it is irrelevant what passport you are flying with or what gateway city/country you are flying from .

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

What's with the $25 exit fee? If you book through a travel company (Sunwing) is this already covered in the ticket price? Thanks,

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

It's never covered in the ticket price, you always have to pay it yourself. When you arrive to the airport, you get your boarding pass, then go to the little booth where you pay the 25CUC/person (only payable in CUC, not in dollars) and they will put a stamp on your boarding pass.

And just in case... Bring Canadian money in good condition, and exchange it for CUC when you arrive in CUba.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa for Cuba for Canadians

No, it's not . It's an exit tax from Cuba. You need to pay it , at the airport, and they only take CUC , and only cash. The best way is to put it in your passport, in the safe, that way you won't spend it ... ;)