We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

I like to do a fairly detailed review which will take some time, and TA takes about a week to post it. So this is a quick one. If you want my relative perspective on other resorts, click on my sign in name, and you can compare. The previous resort we stayed at was the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. Both the Majestic and this Azul are rated at 4.5 stars by TripCentra.ca. However there is absolutely no comparison. I gave the Majestic a 4, and this will probably be a 2 when I get to the TA review.

Is this as 5 star resort? No not a chance, and it never will be. The rooms and building construction is quite basic. Perhaps a touch up from a Super 8, but not a lot. We paid for an ocean-view balcony, and asked by e-mail for a third floor non smoking room in building 55 with a king sized bed. We got a second floor smoking room in building 61 with two three quarter beds. Humorously another couple on their honeymoon got two beds as well. It seemed it was no ones job to clean the hallways, and they were frequently a mess, with garbage bags left laying out overnight.

The resort has an underground sprinkler system, but it does not seem to be working. An older fellow worked every day around our building trying to keep the yard tidy. He got a wheelbarrow full of water from the pool shower and hand watered the few trees they have using a cut off water bottle. The flowers and planted trees are not in good shape. Kind of looks more like a desert. The rest of the trees are just jungle. Essentially the buildings have been built in clearings in the jungle.

The beach is beautiful, and really 5 star. In some areas the sand is so fine it almost feels like clay. There is some reasonable snorkeling with about 4-5 different kinds of fish at the very East end in front of building 61.

The pools are very nice and there are two swim up bars. One on each side. The Paraiso side it pretty much a mirror image of the Azul side. However, on both the beach and around the pool, the towel game is the worst I have ever seen. This is purely a guest created problem. There are lots of loungers, more than I have ever seen at any other resort. At any given time only about 1/3 of the loungers are occupied with people, just towels.

The food? I could write a novel on this one. First the buffets. The basic problem is they are overloaded with too many guests for the facilities. Most often you have to line up just to get into the buffet. They don't seem to have enough tablecloths and napkins. You are likely to have to eat on a dirty tablecloth, and have paper napkins if any at all. There is not enough good basic food out in the hot trays, so people line up for the grills. The lines are so long you cant get at the pre prepared food. People even line up to get pizza. In most resorts pizza, hot dogs, and burgers are there for the kids and are not great. Here, the pizza and burgers are pretty good. The unfortunate part is that everyone gravitates to that and the pasta counter to get decent hot food, and there are huge adult lineups for essentially junk food. Often there is no buns for the hot dogs and burgers.

There is lots of cold cuts, cheese, and seafood out, but nobody eats it (including me). The salad bar is almost non existent. The only time we got lettuce was on the catamaran tour. The food was very good there. Good salad bar including lettuce. I even burnt my fingers on the French fries! Was used to eating cold ones at the resort.

At breakfast the bacon looks very good, but does not taste nearly as good as it looks. Only tried it once. There are some fat sausages cut into short lengths. The darker colored ones are excellent, and quite spicy. The lighter colored ones are less spicy but not bad. They were my go to protein for breakfast. Preprepared eggs were not great, and nobody eats them. They all line up again for hot omelets. Suggest you look for the drier and hot (if possible) looking scrambled eggs. The same basic problem exists for breakfast. Too many guests, not enough good basic food out and ready to go, and long lineups for the fresh food. The guys cooking need to be told a pancake is not a work of art. Fill the grill and cook fast, instead of trying to make a day job of it.

I found the desserts in general to be excellent, and perhaps even the best I have seen at a resort. The bananas flambé were great. The ice cream is OK, and they have some interesting flavours. The only issue is that it tends to be very soft and about half air.

At the a la carte's they are disorganized. The matre de makes you wait until your exact time of your reservation even if there are lots of tables. So don't bother coming early. This of course creates a long lineup for the a la carte's too. Once you get in service is totally erratic. We waited up to 30 minutes to get our order taken from the time we were seated. The steak and beef in general at the resort is very poor. I like steak, and did my best to eat one, but it was just not possible. If you want to be a martyr try the sirloin, and avoid the tenderloin. It is tender only in name.

In general the food presentation at the a la carte's is excellent. Someone has obviously spent a lot of time teaching them how to serve the food. But unfortunately while the look is first class the food is not always up to the look. In general the fish was good, and pork/chicken not quite so good.

I had the chicken parmigiana at the Italian restaurant and it was excellent. The tiramasu for dessert was also excellent. Better than what I have had in the very best Italian restaurants her at home.

Bar service was totally erratic. The main lobby bar is the best. They have nice music in the evening, but the play list is very short (American lounge music), even though there are may different groups. It is too bad they wouldn't let them mix in some Cuban music. In short you have to wait right at the bar if you want to get a drink in a reasonable time. Once you get to know and tip the server they will give you good service. Unfortunately the staff changes and you are back to square one again. Similar to the buffet, the main bar is simply overloaded for the number of guests and by how much they drink!

Lineups are common theme at this resort. There only one person at the main desk, and sometimes two. They never have change for Cuban money. The currency exchange place is only open during the day, and always has a long line up. They will exchange Cuban for Cuban change at no cost, and without a passport, but you line up. A passport is needed to exchange Canadian for Cuban. As for as many ones as you can get. I managed to get 30 on my first try.

Everyone at this resort is essentially Canadian. Behaviour in lineups is at times less than courteous. Some guests may fit in better at Cancun during spring break. We met a number of very nice people there and had some good conversations. However, with the current service levels, and some guest issues, this is not an ideal resort for someone wanting a quiet upscale getaway to relax. You will probably come home frustrated with the service, and behaviour of other guests (towel games, lineup courtesy, F-Bomb language).

Hope that helps some in deciding if you should go, and how to best cope if you are committed to go. Some people are getting this resort at really cheap prices -- $500 range for a week. Others have paid three times that. I would suggest it is worth about $800 (from Edmonton), and you are overpaying above that, and there are better choices elsewhere.

In short a 5 star beach, 3 star facilities, 2 star service, and some 1 star guest behaviours.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. I will give you my honest answers and opinions.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

Thanks Ron. Confirmed my suspions. Way to big for services. Thats why we choose smaller Adults Only resorts.

Cheers

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

Thank you ron-

Apart from the diamond club-

How do you feel about the way that sunwing presented this luxury property?

Do you feel as if you were totally misled? Would your answer be based on how you paid or are you of the opinion that this was misrepresented at any price? Curious to have your take on it.

What was the fight about in the buffet you mentioned.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 12:29
Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

Hi Ron, thanks for sharing your thought on the resort. All info is very much appreciated. I am curious how full your flight was ? thanks

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

I will ask again. Just curious. How do you rate the star systems? Just by compareing to another hotel or by your experiance there? I think this will be my 10th time asking ( not you Ron) and no one will answer but almost most reveiwers will say this is not a 5 star or this is maybe a 3 star etc..

Mike :)

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

"How do you feel about the way that sunwing presented this luxury property?

Do you feel as if you were totally misled? Would your answer be based on how you paid or are you of the opinion that this was misrepresented at any price? Curious to have your take on it.

What was the fight about in the buffet you mentioned."

--------

I was suspicious of the 5 star rating right from the start and that did not figure into our decision very much. However, I do think the early ratings in TA were a little misleading. Obviously there is a system of taking travel agents to resorts and treating them well. Were some of the early reports bias? Perhaps the resort was not nearly as busy as it is now, and service as a result has deteriorated. A lot of the issues root in too many guests and not enough staff. My prediction based on talking to main other guests is that the TA rating will plummet. A lot of very unhappy people.

I would rather not say too much about the incident in the buffet. An older well dressed petite lady expressed that her concerns were not being addressed by staff. She was not drunk, but very upset, and they would not talk to her. She even followed one guy into the kitchen when they ignored her. Eventually a staff guy that was about 300 lbs and nearly 7 feet tall, and we nicknamed "Bubba the bouncer" came and talked to her. They walked away peacefully together and I hope she got to express her concerns to Edwardo the resort director. The sad part was that all the guests broke out in applause for her. The staff misunderstood, and clapped too. They did not realize the guests were cheering for the lady, and not Bubba.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

"I am curious how full your flight was ?"

-------

Our flight from Edmonton WG392 down was right full. WG393 on the way back had a few empty seats, perhaps 5 or so. In the boarding lounge (10:00 PM) on the way down Sunwing announced that they did not have enough fuel to fly direct to Santa Clara and they had to stop for fuel in Cancun, and it would take 30 minutes. That is a fabrication. They either stopped to pick up supplies for the resort which was one rumor, or it was because they knew the weather in Santa Clara was going to be bad, and they did not have enough fuel to circle waiting, or return to Varadero. I think the former was more likely correct as they should have flown direct to Varadero, and landed there. The flight started 1 hour late, and we spend 2 hours in Cancun, so arrived 3 hours late.

Another long story, but our flight back spread over two days and we stopped in Toronto.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 13:31
Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

Thanks ron, so much for a nice direct flight ! I hope we have better weather on Tuesday.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

"I will ask again. Just curious. How do you rate the star systems? Just by compareing to another hotel or by your experiance there? I think this will be my 10th time asking ( not you Ron) and no one will answer but almost most reveiwers will say this is not a 5 star or this is maybe a 3 star etc.."

--------

I frankly use my seat of the pants own system, and find the resort rating is the least reliable. I think there is an official method which considers numbers of restaurants, etc.. I kind of trust TripCentral, but this time they let me down. There is no way it is a 4.5. I would suggest on a relative basis (Mexico, Dominican, included), it is a 3.5 possibly, but is currently operating much lower than that due to too many guests, not enough staff, and food facilities. The resort is not doing themselves any favours by over rating.

The Iberostar Esenachoes just down the road, I think is rated at about 4.5. We talked to those who stayed there, and they were very happy with the facility, food, and service. After our first flight was canceled they were forced to stay at the Memories for 5 hours or so, and had to endure the buffet service. They confirmed that there was no comparison in the two resorts, and the buffet experience at Memories was more like a cattle feed lot. Their words not mine.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

Thanks Ron :)

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memories Azul & Paraiso Quick Review - Questions?

"Thanks ron, so much for a nice direct flight ! I hope we have better weather on Tuesday."

-------

Pray for lots of wind during the night to keep the fog cleared, and you will be ok going down, and may get a non stop. There is no legitimate reason they can't make Santa Clara without a fuel stop. The pilot personally told me that. However on the way back I would strongly bet you will stop somewhere for fuel and it will be at Sunwing's convenience, not yours. I really don't think if the plane is loaded, they can make it from Santa Clara to Edmonton in their 737-800. There is always headwind on the way back. Transat flies larger Airbus planes that can easily make it.