We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions from airport to resort

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road conditions from airport to resort

Just curious...

A colleague of mine had a family member just return from Santa Maria. They told him that the highway between the airport in Santa Clara and the resort was pure He**. It would be hard to believe that it could be any worse than the roads in Winnipeg, but who knows...lol.

Thoughts?

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

They are repairing the Causeway but I wouldn't call it Pure He**. I can promise you there is no snow on the roads. LOL

Mike :)

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

At least you won't worry about hitting black ice:)

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

While our Sunwing flights and the resort were the worst we endured in a South vacation, the bus ride to the resort was excellent, and one of the main highlights of the trip. The buses are new and generally in very good condition. We got to do the trip twice because our return flight was canceled on the first attempt. On the second bus the washroom was not working, but they stopped for a bathroom break in one of the cities you go through.

Try to get a window seat -- either side will do and be prepared to take photos if you make the trip during daylight hours. It is a very different country and if you don't take an excursion from the resort, it is your only opportunity to see it. The roads are generally very good and paved. Both bus drivers we had were excellent. Some of the streets in the very old cities are quite narrow, so speed is slow to get through those parts. However those are the best photo opportunities, that is actually a plus.

About the only road issue is that a Hurricane from a few years ago has damaged some bridges on the causeway part of the highway. They have constructed some temporary bypasses around those bridges while they are repaired. It is no big deal and the buses slow down for that part.

Including the loading and unloading the bus section takes about 2 hours one way.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

Snow, what snow??

This winter has been amazing so far. A brown Christmas, and hardly a flake in site. Then again, my poor Artic Cat really needs some powder to make her happy.

Moncton NB
Level Contributor
749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

we are in moncton NB and just got 20 cm today... LOL

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

Come on Ron, tell us how you really feel about your trip

Mike :)

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

JaJa ekim.!

Glen B, your friend's family member should stay at home if he or she thinks that road is pure hel!

We have traveled it for the last 2 years, and it is as good as it gets in Cuba!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

Hey hockey Mom.

Yeah, I was talking with someone in NB, and she was telling me all about it> I feel for you.

Hey deebob,

I hear you there. There is no pleasing some folks. I will thnk of it as a free jungle tour ride...lol.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

HaHa

No seriously ,it's not that bad!

I hope you're lucky enough to see it during the daylight.

Have a great Vacation!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road conditions from airport to resort

"Come on Ron, tell us how you really feel about your trip Mike :)"

-----

Honestly the bus trip was good! Not sure I had to make it two times though...

But if I compare this bus trip to the one we got in Dominican Republic Punta Cana, this was a cake walk. The Cuban bus drivers actually slow down and even stop if there is something ahead of them like a car, horse drawn cart, bicycle, or motor scooter, and there is oncoming traffic. In DR they don't even slow down. They just pull out to the middle of the road (narrow two lane) and expect everyone else to get out of the way or get flattened. Passing on curves no problem. You don't have to see if anything is coming. Stop signs and lights are just suggestions, and the biggest vehicle seems to really have the right away. I think you would have to be crazy to drive there. Cuba on the other hand was very civilized and no different than Canada -- except for the horses on the road.