We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

If you are planning to bring gifts for the Cuban people Sunwing has something called a 'Humanitarian Clause' (or similar wording). Anyway, if you contact Sunwing prior to leaving and give them notice that you are bringing gifts, then they won't charge you for the overweight luggage. I did not see anything like this in my research and imagine how upset I was when the Sunwing rep told me about it at the airport, thanks, but a little too late. Of course Sunwing wouldn't readily advertise this, they got me for $160, just for the extra bag of gifts. It is $20 per kg you are over, and that one bag for us was the only cause for our luggage being overweight. Needless to say, they won't get me again for that and hopefully they won't get you too after reading this.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

Everyone, My original intention was to do a good thing, not cause harm. That is the bottom line for me, and I can live with myself for knowing that. This is the last amount of time that I am going to spend on this post..... so talk amongst yourselves I guess. My last thing is to also thank Sweetmystery0 for the support as well, as that response was also a major point of mine!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

The vast majority of responses on this thread were polite, rational, common sense replies detailing additional aspects of the minefield that is donations to Cuba.

I fail to see why anyone would regard further adult discussion as negative in any way, in particular "bullying."

Jeesh...

Cheers,

Terry

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

Yet another bash Sunwing thread because the OP didn't do the proper research. I've been aware of the humanitarian extra weight for years and sorry but it is not difficult to find that information out. Also did you expect Sunwing to tell all their customers about that policy? The vast majority of people could care less about that extra weight allowance unless it meant they could bring a few extra pairs of flip flops and beach toys for themselves. The onus is on YOU to do the proper research, to blame Sunwing for your mistake is just rediculous. I also sense you are a very sensitive person jewelz if an internet message board where people disagree with you or try to help you bothers you so much. Just my opinion....

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

I am hesitant to continue sharing information about humanitarian/charitable donations, as it is such a sensitive subject to many. Thanks to the members who sent me a pm in response to my attempt to explain some of the often misused/misunderstood terms.

There is at least one airline which is reviewing their goodwill policy for providing an allocation for humanitarian/charitable donations. There are several reasons why this is being reviewed - one is that the airline realizes that their policy is not reaching its intended objective (some of that is because the program is willy-nilly), and the other reason is an attempt to reduce indirect administrative costs of such a program and direct costs of transporting the goods.

The airline (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one I am referring to!) calculates that it provides an average of two requests per flight x 10 flights per day (to various destinations, not just Cuba), x 7 days per week, x 26 weeks (they average only during the heavy tourist season). That amounts to MORE THAN 20,000 KG that the airline is transporting as "goodwill". They are looking at several options in place of this program - one is to identify a few international organizations that will be the ONLY ones designated to participate in the program, and another option is to scrap the program altogether and that the airline would make a contribution to an organization involved in humanitarian assistance overseas.

Both of those options (and there are others being discussed) significantly reduce the indirect costs of the airline in administering the program, including the cost of ensuring that staff implement the program consistantly according to the stated objectives.

When one airline goes this route others won't be far behind (imho).

I believe that most people make reasonable decisions when they have adequate information, based on their own values and beliefs. Sometimes we make mistakes and do the wrong thing, but hopefully we learn from our mistakes - and the mistakes of others.

2 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

I think that was an idiotic report if you can carry the weight on the plane and someone wants to bring a gift so be it Why should a person be penalized for trying to help out with a couple gifts. You should think about your policy

2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

I think that was an idiotic report if you can carry the weight on the plane and someone wants to bring a gift so be it Why should a person be penalized for trying to help out with a couple gifts. You should think about your policy

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

Why did this post from 6 months ago get dragged up again?

What policy should we rethink?

I don't think an airline posted in here.....

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

Why did this post from 6 months ago get dragged up again?

Full moon troll would be my guess ...

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

On my last trip to Cuba, I had the frustrating experience of following a car of tourists who stopped constantly, to hand out trinkets and candy to children on the roadsides. I feared for the safety of these little ones as they stood dangerously close to traffic (a.k.a. strangers in cars) in order to get these treats. If you are bringing gifts to Cuba, please use common sense at all times.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 23:08
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Flying Sunwing to Cuba?? Be Advised.....

" If you are bringing gifts to Cuba, please use common sense at all times. "

You're right, best common sense is don't bring any.

Cheers