We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

Lincoln, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

This may seem an odd question. My wife and I are staying at the Paloma Pasha in Ozdere in very early May. I am a keen nature photographer and am hoping to discover walks from the hotel where I can see butterflies, birds, dragonflies etc and photograph them. What are the possibilities please? This is the first time in the area for us and of course we also intend to visit Ephesus as we are both history lovers. Is there a quieter time to visit? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Paloma Pasha Resort
Paloma Pasha Resort
2,520 Reviews
Ozdere, Turkey
Ozdere
Ozdere
Izmir Province, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

In Selçuk you'll be able to get some wonderful photographs of the resident storks around the town(Selçuk is famous for them!).

At Özdere most of the seafront is pretty well developed now but the actual village/small town of Özdere is set back from the seafront a mile or so inland do if you go there and continue heading inland it is undeveloped open land where you can walk and hopefully here you may see wildlife and birds to photograph.

For visiting Ephesus perhaps wait until afternoon.By that time most of the cruise ship tours will have passed through as will have coach tours from the south coast.The site is open until 19.00.In early May it will be hot around the site but not excessively so,nevertheless you should remember to take a hat and water with you as the latter cannot be bought once inside the site only at the gates.

Lincoln, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

Thankyou for your most kind, prompt and informative reply. Will post some nature photographs when I return so people will have an idea of what can be seen. May I also ask if when walking in the countryside the land is private (I don't mean in peoples gardens of course) but say along tracks between fields? Ephasus in the late afternoon would be marvellous for photography so will go then. My wife and I have wanted to see it for many years now so no doubt we will take advantage of our holiday and visit many afternoons. I have also heard of a place called Klaros or Claros? I believe this is very near Ozdere?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

Yes,the site of Klaros is very close by and there are local mini buses that go by it.This is an interesting but lesser visited site so the chances are you could have the place almost to yourselves which is rather nice.

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/claros.htm

Further down the coast are the interesting sites of Priene,Miletus and Didyma all well worth seeing and there are daily tours which take in all three on the same day.So this too may be of interest to you.

North of Izmir is the extensive site of Bergama.This too can be done as a day tour.It is two hours north of Izmir so not too far away and it is a nice journey.

So this gives you several options for good days out and about.

You are pretty free to walk around the rural area's outside of towns.Armed only with a camera it will be clear to anyone you aren't up to mischief :) You will be able to pick out walking tracks along side lanes and through fields.

In Özdere you can also ask people where is best for you to walk,you are sure to find some who can speak at least some English.

The Turkish for bird is kuş(koosh)(plural is kuşlar-koosh-lar),butterfly is kelebek(said as written) and wildlife is doğa hayvanları(doh-a hay-van-lar).So you can indicate your camera and say these words then look around questioningly so they will understand you are asking where can you photograph these.

Don't worry,this kind of part speak/part mime is frequently used by foreign visitors and Turkish people are well used to us now LOL!

I'm sure you'll have your camera at the ready around Ephesus and Klaros anyway but watch out as you can often see little lizards and gecko's sunning themselves on the warm stones and tortoises too can often been seen clattering around.

Mentioned in this post
Miletus
Miletus
392 Reviews
Didim, Turkey
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Lincoln, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

Thank you once again for your excellent and very helpful reply. Love the Turkish words, these will be really useful. 6 weeks to go!

Lincoln England
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

As I am now in Ozdere perhaps I should add a little more and answer my own question. The area is great for wildlife photography! Plenty of butterflies a short walk from the hotel, orchids etc. Very short on birds though. Worked the hill that overlooks the resort and in the morning will head inland after the tortoises. Wear long trousers as area is very scrubby. The locals are really lovely, helpful people and always say hello (merhaba). You will find trails that go off from the road leading to the hotel, use those. All very laid back. Will post pics and video when I get back. Hotel is great! Staff cannot do enough for you!

Mentioned in this post
Ozdere
Ozdere
Izmir Province, Turkey
Lincoln England
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

As I am now in Ozdere perhaps I should add a little more and answer my own question. The area is great for wildlife photography! Plenty of butterflies a short walk from the hotel, orchids etc. Very short on birds though. Worked the hill that overlooks the resort and in the morning will head inland after the tortoises. Wear long trousers as area is very scrubby. The locals are really lovely, helpful people and always say hello (merhaba). You will find trails that go off from the road leading to the hotel, use those. All very laid back. Will post pics and video when I get back. Hotel is great! Staff cannot do enough for you!

Mentioned in this post
Ozdere
Ozdere
Izmir Province, Turkey
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

I'm so sorry I missed your first posting. Please try to get to Claros. This is a great time of year to go there. I hope the water level will be a few inches lower than it was last week, so you may be able to get onto the temple base itself. Dragonflies abound (can't remember if this is the right time of year but I've seen some really weird ones there). There's a pair of rare bitterns if you can spot them, as well as all the frogs and terrapins and (?unique) fish.....

Lincoln, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

Hi Robert, Just seen this. Will be going back to Ozdere for sure and will have a look at Claros. Sounds very interesting with the dragonflies.

Mentioned in this post
Ozdere
Ozdere
Izmir Province, Turkey
9. Re: Opportunities for nature photography in Ozdere in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Ozdere