We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping in turkey??????

merseyside
Level Contributor
383 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
tipping in turkey??????

Hi, going to Ozdere in June, would like to know whats the thinking about tipping, is it done, how much ect. We staying in Paloma Sultan anyone got any tips or advice about rooms or anything you think would be helpful, never been to Turkey and looking forward to new experiences, we are both in our 50's.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping in turkey??????

We didn't have to tip too much, if you want a waiter to look after you at dinner though out your stay, tip him €5 every few nights and he wil find you a table where you want and keep your drinks topped up. We never felt the need to tip bar staff. We always tip out cleaner at the end of our stay, they are normally very grateful even if its €10.

merseyside
Level Contributor
383 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping in turkey??????

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, so did you take any Turkish money or just use euro's.

Moll

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping in turkey??????

I took euros and sterling which I exchanged to lira at the hotel. They like being paid in euros although they except both.

Izmir, Turkey
Level Contributor
28 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping in turkey??????

In Turkey we don't have an obligation such as tipping. No one can force you to leave a tip, however, in hotels and restaurants tipping provides you a better service.

merseyside
Level Contributor
383 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping in turkey??????

Thank you canbengisu for your reply, we go to Cuba, Dom rep where tipping is the done thing just wanted to know if Turkey was the same, I agree, tipping should be for good service and not the norm.

Moll

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping in turkey??????

in a hotel or restaurant I would tip anything between 10-15%, depending on the service & food .. . some restaurants provide a better service & food than others. If you're not happy with the service you receive, then don't tip them. Most hotels, bars ,restaurants have a tip box there is no rule and it is not something you must do but the staff DO APPRECIATE it if you do..they feel that they have done their job well. the seasonal staff are not necessarily paid big wages so tips do help them

The hotel workers typically work VERY long hours with few if any days off. If you are staying at a hotel for more than a few days and notice a worker who is doing an especially good job or has given especially nice service slip a 50 lira note. It will be appreciated.

The top travel destinations in Turkey attract millions of tourists from these countries therefore the people who work in tourism industry expect to have tips from almost any service they give. As much as serving the tourists the temporary seasonal jobs owned by the tourism workers also increase the expectation of tips from the visitors. ( Bus drivers, airport transfer drivers, guides, waiters, porters, bellboys, customer relations, barmens etc.)

Tipping in Restaurants in Turkey

Tipping in restaurants is actually up to service you get. If you are happy with the foods, service and atmosphere in general you can tip to waiter 10% of the total bill.

Tips in restaurants in Turkey are shared among the waiters so you can also leave your tip to the tip boxes which mostly stands in a central visible place of the restaurant.

The biggest income of the bell boys are based on the tips they get so it is necessary to tip bell boys who help you to carry your bags. 5 to 10 Tl will be enough in general for the porters.

If you are in holiday in an all inclusive hotel, it is recommended to tip 50 Tl or 100 Tl to one barmen you like in order to take faster and better quality service.

If you are also satisfied from room cleaning you can also tip at the end of your holiday 50 to 100 Tl to the room cleaners.

Tips are also necessary for the drivers who will pick you up from the airport to the hotel but if you hire a taxi tips are not necessary.

Tipping to customer relations and concierge is also necessary. If you request something personal and special for you such as, restaurant reservation, flower orders, change of flight tickets etc. Tips should be given to person who deals with your request.

Tipping in Tours in Turkey

If you join just a Daily tour to a historical site both driver and guide will expect to have a tip at the end of the day. If you are happy with the tour in general ( safe drive, good knowledge of the guide, services etc.) 10 to 20 $ can be given both to guide and driver.

* Tips given to the guides generally are shared with the drivers by guides .

If you are in a long term round trip in Turkey for 5 to 30 days. Tips both for the guide and driver minimum should be 100$.

What are the “NO tip” services and places ?

Taxis, Buses, Markets, shops, governmental services are the places where the tipping is not necessary and obligated.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping in turkey??????

Great advise Canmom. This is also what I do as a local Istanbullu in Turkey which has a tipping culture and those who work in the hospitality industry do expect to get tipped.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,338 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping in turkey??????

I am sorry but the tipping in All Inclusive hotels is way off the mark and I would never give one bar person so much money in one go to get me better service. You might not see him /her again much the whole holiday. There is absolutely no need to tip for better service in the good All Inclusive hotels.The service will be good regardless, that is their job and they are trained to give good service.

Yes they appreciate the tips of course and we do tip randomly here and there.Most staff employed in the luxury 4/5 of star hotels are not working such long hours these days and most do 8 hours per day and then one day a week maybe a 12 hour shift and some hotels pay a fairly decent salary these days to keep the best staff.

I would say tip what you can afford to tip and usually yes we tip our favourite staff but then the tips are shared at most hotels. We take chocolate and gifts for staff and they appreciate this as it is for them and they can keep gifts.

Manchester.
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping in turkey??????

Totally agree with Toady, I would not dream of giving such generous tips!

We've been to the Paloma Pasha twice which is the sister hotel to the Paloma Sultan where all the staff kept their own tips, we gave small tips of money and chocolates frequently and got looked after very well!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping in turkey??????

my comments where general tipping in turkey and not just specifically for AI..but still if you tip for a weeks holidays around 50-100 liras for the bar / waiter service staff in a tip box then it is diving equally amoungst all the staff that had served you..again dont forget there are other staff that you might not see that also make your holiday run smoothly..again the tips are pooled together and also shared with the kitchen staff and I am sure along with the staff that keep the grounds / pool clean etc..the same with the cleaning staff for your room...at the end of the week or half way through you can leave a tip..t

Get answers to your questions about Ozdere