We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

We have done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to these three towns - Arcos de la Frontera, Vejer de la Frontera or Guacin. We plan on renting an apartment (there will be 6 of us) and these towns accomadation's seemed to provide what we are looking for. Can anyone PLEASE help us decide between these three? Pro/cons? We would like some good restaurants, bars, maybe a little nightlife (but not necesarry) within walking distance. We will have a car and we are going in June 2012.

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,463 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

Good restaurants are hard to come by in Andalucia especially outside of the large cities. There is plenty of good wholesome food to eat but little in the way of 'haute cuisine'. If your plan is to explore the 'pueblos blancos' then Gaucin or Arcos are much preferable to Vejer. The pretty small town of Gaucin is within reach of many lovely villages and of course Ronda. I was in Gaucin this morning and I heard about an ancient Olive Tree that has a radius of about 8 metres - this is extraordinary but is a fact. The trees in this part of Spain are fantastic especially the pines and the oaks. Not far from Gaucin you have the mysterious and enormous wood called Los Alcornacales. Cork oaks galore.

Arcos has plenty of life and more so than Gaucin plus it is on the doorstep of some very lovely scenery with the Sierra de Grazalema easily reached. In fact the road out from Arcos to the Sierra is very nice. And from Arcos you can easily get into Jerez for more discoveries especially the Sherry !

Vejer is wonderful for visiting the coast but not so convenient for visits to the white villages.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

Thanks for so much information! This will help us make our decsion. We were a little worried that Gaucin may not have enough restaurants, shops, etc. (we are not looking for haute cuisine - just plenty of wine!). However, I think the rental unit in Gaucin is the most attractive with great views. We did find a nice rental in Vejer, but we will want to be able to see some other parts of Andalusia and it's not as central.

Cadiz, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

Vejer it is a perfect place. You can be in a typical white town but from 10 minutes fromt he best Spanish beaches. Also there are really many things to do there and places to visit in 1 hour maximun driving. There are fantatic typical houses even with pool in the center of the old town. You can have a look to costadelaluzvillas.co.uk and have an idea. Also can contact them to have more information

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

Depends on what sort of scenery you are looking for. I would just add that out of three you mention, Arcos de la Frontera, Vejer de la Frontera or Guacin, Vejer, which is out near the coast, and to a lesser extent Arcos, are away from the more mountainous and very scenic Sierra da Grazelema / Ronda area whereas Guacin is located on a ridge road high in the mountains with long views to the south. You have to drive off the high road to get anywhere from Guacin but is a very decent road.

From Guacin you could always visit the blue 'Smurf' village which is not too far away (sorry, just joking!)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
833 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

While staying in Vejer, we ventured to many other towns and nearby beaches. I found the food in Vejer very satisfying as well. Parking was a challenge. We ended up leaving the car at the beginning of town and walking in to our hotel (after leaving the luggage). This just added a few minutes to the day and is not a big problem, just something to plan for. Otherwise, I found Vejer to be convenient to surrounding places, including Gibraltar, which was a longer drive, but we made a day of it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

My husband and I are planning 7 nights in Andalucia this Sept. We'll spend 3 in Priego de Cordoba, then are planning to head to Vejer for a couple of nights, then up to Seville. I'm pondering two hotels: V Hotel and Casa la Siesta. I'm wondering if being right in Vejer is preferable to being outside of town at Casa la Siesta? I'm sure it will be partly based on whether we utlimately want to be in a quieter countryside setting or in town, but would nonetheless love any comments comparing or contrasting these 2 properties and their locations. (have read all the reviews for each of these on this site).

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

CAishome, did you get any replies? I too have narrowed it down to V Hotel and Casa La Siesta...! Also where are you staying in Priego de Cordoba?

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?

Before replying, take a look at this thread.

tripadvisor.com/…40744148

It seems that al-andalus123 has disappeared.

Reply to: Which town is a good base in Andalusia's White Towns?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vejer de la Frontera
More Vejer de la Frontera Topics