We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving To Chisasibi

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
41 reviews
31 helpful votes
Driving To Chisasibi
Save

I'm planning a trip to Chisasibi and I'm debating whether to rent a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk or a Volvo S60 Cross Country. The Volvo is undoubtedly a much nicer car but it is in the end just a lifted sedan. Are the roads bad enough in April to justify the extra 1.5 inches of ground clearance, skid plates, and other more offroad features that the Cherokee has? In the past, I've driven to Labrador City in the winter and I was definitely glad to have chosen a Grand Cherokee.

1 reply
Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
314 reviews
130 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving To Chisasibi
Save

The road to Chisasibi is paved and you will have no problems driving in a regular car. From Chisasibi to the beach at Jame Bay or to the ferry (barge) to Fort George is rougher and corduroy roads but a regular car will do it just as easily. However if you plan on taking the ferry to Fort George ($40 cost per vehicle...$20 for senior driver), getting off the ferry on the island, you have a good chance of bottoming out so keep that in mind. The roads on Fort George Island are sand...if you go past the main part of the island, the sand get a bit deeper, so stay close to the east end.

Reply to: Driving To Chisasibi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chisasibi
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.